What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What's the most reliable VAG engine? - dsuk81
What's the most reliable engine in a 3 year old VW Golf / Audi A3?

Is the 1.2 TSI proven yet?
What's the most reliable VAG engine? - oldtoffee

Probably the 1.4 petrol, normally aspirated, 16 valve unit with 80 bhp.

The 1.2TSIs (85bhp I think) are plentiful but there are enough customer stories of problems with the turbos and other major items failing at relatively low miles that a lot of people don't consider them well proven and reliable yet. A search of this site and VAG forums on the TSIs will reveal more.

What's the most reliable VAG engine? - Collos25

Are you talking about the 1.4 petrol that has just won the carrot of the year award for the worst ever engine produced by VAG the one with the disintergrating cam chain.Or perhaps some other 1.4.

What's the most reliable VAG engine? - madf

I don't believe VW has ever produced any unreliable engines.

"If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen"

It's on TV so it must be true...

What's the most reliable VAG engine? - Paul87

There is a 1.4 petrol that is fitted on the new polos (85ps) that uses a belt not a chain, I would guess thats the engine oldtoffee is refering to.

Edited by Paul87 on 13/02/2013 at 16:22

It's a bad state of affairs for VAG if no one can recommend an engine in the Golf / A3 class...

Japanese car it is then...
What's the most reliable VAG engine? - iFocus

The 1.4TSI 122 is a very good engine, only a water cooled turbo so supercharger too.

And the camchain on the 122 usually doesn't give any trouble. Although mine did and had a slight rattle, I got it replaced under warranty though.

Also the 1.6 TDi 105 is a good engine and rarely gives much trouble, if you do the miles that is as the DPF can get clogged if you don't.

If a car has engine problems within 3 years, it's hardly reliable...

My 11 year old Ford hasnt had any engine issues, and my previous 14 year old toyota engine drove like new.

What's the most reliable VAG engine? - Collos25

"And the camchain on the 122 usually doesn't give any trouble. Although mine did and had a slight rattle, I got it replaced under warranty though".

Thats the problem just about every 1.4 chain cam engine has had to have its chain replaced due to a manufacturing defect ,hardly the things that you would expect from VAG and thats why it won the Golden carrot award .

What's the most reliable VAG engine? - Ed V

The roads are awash with both various models of both cars, so I guess they all are reasonably reliable, unless there a VAG super-store somewhere with an even greater number of broken down VWs and Audis.

They sell millions of them each year. What's suspicious?