What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 - Automatic - O/D Overdrive? - leef

Hi all,

Long time no speak. I've got rid of the Mondeo and got an02 Plate Focus from an old lady I knew, 1 owner 31,000 miles, full service history and the cam belt changed at 29,000 miles. In great condition. (got the auto as the mrs is learning to drive and will only drive an Auto box!).

Anyway onto my question! I've noticed a little button on the Gear shift lever, when I press it a light comes on the dash saying O/D Off. Looking on the net it stands for overdrive, can any of the backroomers explain in simple terms for me what this does and what use / not use it has? Sorry if it's a silly question...

thanks

Lee

Ford Focus 1.6 - Automatic - O/D Overdrive? - Auristocrat

Think that with the O/D off, the transmission will only use 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. With the O/D on, the transmission will also use the 4th gear - which is a high (overdrive) gear for better economy.

Some people leave it on, and turn it off only when they need to keep in a low gear (eg for an incline).

Ford Focus 1.6 - Automatic - O/D Overdrive? - RT

Don't know why they call it overdrive - cars haven't been fitted with overdrives for decades.

Most transmissions, manual or automatic, no longer use a direct drive top gear but use gears just like the lower gears and like those lower gears the ratio together with the final drive ratio determines engine speed at any given rpm - usually quoted as "mph @ 1,000rpm".

AFAIK Fords of that era used a 4-speed automatic and "O/D Off" simply stops it changing up to 4th gear.

Ford Focus 1.6 - Automatic - O/D Overdrive? - leef

Cheers guys,

I leave it set to on, unless I ever tow a caravan! :)

Thanks

Lee