What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - tony g
Hi
Following my previous posts ,
We've just bought a Hyundai 1.4 I 20 automatic . 4 speed

I'm curious to know what type of auto box it is and who manufacturers it .I tried Hyundai,s customer helpline ,who were no use at all.
I don't think it's a cvt but other than that ive not managed to find any info on any website .

Any ideas ?

Edited by tony g on 08/02/2013 at 10:55

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - RT

According to Auto Express www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/38929/hyundai-i2...t it's a "traditional" automatic - torque converter plus planetary geartrain.

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - TeeCee

If so, quite probably an Aisin-Warner component.

There'll be a plate on it somewhere with the manufacturer's part no. If it has a second and usually longer, part number starting with "AW"........

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - RT

If so, quite probably an Aisin-Warner component.

There'll be a plate on it somewhere with the manufacturer's part no. If it has a second and usually longer, part number starting with "AW"........

Hyundai have invested huge amounts developing their own transmissions (and engines) to increasingly avoid reliance on outside suppliers or licence-built versions.

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - KB.

It will have a 4 speed torque converter box as fitted to other small Hyundais. I have it in my i10. I don't know who makes it.

Incidentally, they put the same 1200cc engine that I have in in mine to the i20 and the general concessus is that it's every bit as economicaland performs just as well...(and many say more so) than in the i10.

I just looked quickly and found this opinion online......"It’s best to ignore the automatic gearbox that comes as an option on the 1.4 petrol model. Not only is it quite expensive, but it also reduces the fuel consumption and, because it’s only got four gears, isn’t as refined at speed when compared to cars fitted with the manual transmission"......... On this occasion I'll agree that this autobox does serve it's purpose, but beyond that does incur an MPG penalty and, in my case, is quite low geared at 70mph where the engine is doing just over 3000rpm and it does seem to make the car feel less 'nippy' than it's manual equivalent. It's quite smooth in operation though and if you want or need an auto in a small Hyundai is the only option.

EDIT. I just remembered you comment re. Hyundai Customer Service helpine. I have had much experience with HUK Customer Services and have written about it elsewhere. The response you received comes as no surprise...but equally you might well have got a similar response at some of the other manufacturers too....they do like to read from scripts and anything beyond that is seen as a problem...IMO at least

Edited by KB. on 08/02/2013 at 11:27

Hi,
Thankyou all for the info ,I'm really pleased that its a conventional auto box ,not a cvt and definitely not a dsg .

We knew that fuel consumption wouldn't be that great ,but its not really an issue as the car will only do about 1500 miles an issue .

Once again Thankyou to all who contributed .

Regards

Tony g
Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - daveyjp
Keep us up to date on your thoughts on the car. My wife is considering one, a 1.2 manual.
Keep us up to date on your thoughts on the car. My wife is considering one, a 1.2 manual.

Dare I suggest you stick to the i20 and not the i10 and that you and your Mrs go to the Hyundai-Forums.com site and work your way down to the i10 and i20 sections just to see what others have to say. Both i10 and i20 sections are fairly quiet now (which is probably a good thing as there are less people seeking advice about their errant vehicles) but spend half an hour searching back and familiarise yourself with some of the problems that SOME owners encountered (especially the i10) and also the advice therein regarding Hyundai Customer Services and the experiences SOME ownes had in corresponding with them.

I'd like to think they have changed the attitude they adopted with me and countless other owners in the past and are now amenable to listening to their problems sympathetically and helpfully.

You'll find that from 2008 onwards the clutches (and transmissions generally) generated disproportionate correspondence and did Hyundai no favours at all. I trust you'll have looked at HJ's "What's Bad" section on here and see what to look for. I sold my manual i10 and was glad to be shot of it ....but, in a moment of weakness, bought an automatic one. The car is essentially sound but I was unlucky and had an issue with mine that took one hell of a long time to resolve

But, as has been said lots of times, it's the grumblers that gravitate, in the main, to the vehicle specific forums like that one and there are loads of happy owners about with nothing to complain about (there are some happy ones on that forum I referred to). And I've noted that the i20 has never suffered the degree of dissatisfaction, on the forum, that the i10 did from new. I've a mate with a 1200cc i20 and he loves it. So you'll probably be OK, but don't say I didn't warn you :-)

To be honest the main reason I mention the i10 here is just that it's the same 1.2 engine in both the i10 and 120....it's just a bit odd that the i20 seems to be better in almost all respects and strange that the i20 is more economical than the smaller car.

Edited by KB. on 08/02/2013 at 21:20

Hi kb,
From our perspective their are several issues that will affect my mother in laws enjoyment of her i20. So it will be interesting to see how things work out .

The car is a 1.4 so perhaps we won't have the problems you suggest that are prevalent in the 1.2 .

The car will cover about 1500 miles a year ,so probably will be less liable to failures .

The i20 was face lifted in 2012 so hopefully some of the problem areas were addressed .

It's worth mentioning that there is no such thing as a perfect car ,I was working for Mercedes when they produced a new model e class and c class that had huge corrosion and electronic problems .

I'll let the forum know of any issues with the car ,the only concerns I've had so far have been with the sales operation which was amateurish .

Quite so, tony and you're right in all you say. I honestly would feel far more confident in an i20 than an i10 and am sure you'll be absolutely fine. Would it be worth your MIL or someone else taking the car on a spirited blast up the dual carriageway for half an hour every now and again to clear the tubes a bit? 1500 miles PA sounds like it might jus t be pootling locally? Also dare I ask if it has reversing sensors on it? I can't recall if it has or not. If not.....and if it is being used for short journeys then I have a vision of it being parked in shop/church/allotment/friends parking spaces - and being liable to mishap in confined spaces. I ALWAYS fit them just as an insurance policy and it does no harm for £200 fitted for the Cobra ones.

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - Auristocrat

Back in April 2012, my sister and we bought a new i20 Comfort (equivalent to the Active) each. Both are manuals.

My sister's i20 is their main car and has taken them away on holidays about three times since purchase (as far as the Isle of Skye), without any issues. Her husband is 6ft 4 and has no problems driving the i20.

Ours is used as a second car and has done approx 3300 miles now. Mainly driven around Birmingham. Is roomier than the previous (1st generation Mazda 2) more economical and has a far better ride. Again, no issues.

Main dealer servicing is more expensive than my Auris (due to Toyota's fixed price servicing) - but then again so was the Mazda.

Easy to drive. Light clutch. Better rear visibility than it's sister car, the Kia Rio. Power steering a bit over-assisted at slow speeds, but that is just a niggle.

Last year there was one fairly well publicised example of an i20's clutch failing at about 3500 miles due to implied driver misuse - featured in Auto Express. After a few weeks without hearing any outcome, I e-mailed Auto Express for an update. Hyundai had examined the clutch and come to the same conclusion as the dealer. Story appears to have been dropped.

I visit the Hyundai Owners Club forums most days. Compared to the Toyota Owners Club, the i10/i20 forums are very quiet. No real issues appear to occur either.

Edited by Auristocrat on 08/02/2013 at 22:42

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - Avant

My elder daughter got an i10 1.2 Active last September following four excellent Toyota Yarises (all 1.3s) - the sole reason being price. The i10 was £7,700, the equivalent Yaris over £13,000. After about 4,000 miles, so far so good, and the i10 does the job equally well. She's not really 'into' cars, and I don't think she notices much difference between the two.

The i10 is lively: a smaller engine but in a smaller car which seems only slightly less roomy; and it's much better finished than Korean cars used to be.

I hope and believe that the i10's problems were with earlier cars.

I hope and believe that the i10's problems were with earlier cars.

I bought mine new in September 2011.

We have just swapped our Aygo for an 11 month old i20 comfort, 1.2 manual.

I have taken delivery of it for the second time today (!) we refused first time due to a damaged bumper which was done between me agreeing to buy it and us collecting it. This has now been fixed.

We looked at a few cars, including Yaris, Up, Fiesta, but on the value v kit equation the i20 won hands down. It will mainly be a school run/round town car, but longer trips won't be a problem.

We were also pleasantly surprised to find the insurance is lower than the Aygo. Obviously too many youngsters buying Aygos as first cars and wrapping them round lamp posts!

Hopefully it will be a long relationship.

My sister has had an i30 for a couple of years with no problems whatsoever.

Edited by daveyjp on 27/02/2013 at 20:20

Hi all
Well, we collected the I 20 automatic for my mother in law today ,first thoughts are its a well made car with a decent fit and finish ,the interior is well made with lots of good features .The car was well presented on delivery in a good clean unmarked condition .

The non metallic white paint looks smooth and bright ,overall it seems a good car .One nice little touch was the locking wheel nuts on the alloys ,which were included in the price ,I expected to have to buy them ,but no car mats!

However it all goes wrong with the dealership ,a very poor dealership .

Delivery was extended from 1 to 3 weeks ,the day of delivery was put back twice .On the day of delivery 10 minutes before we were due to collect the salesman rang to ask could we collect the day after ,no chance .

I felt we had to watch every aspect of the transaction .The service package and rear parking sensors were agreed as part of the price ,but not put on the order form ,we were invited to sign before they were added .No chance .

We also had to ask for the sales manager to sign the final agreed order ,before we did . I'm not sure we would have had a guaranteed order if the dealer changed thier mind .Although the sales manager conducted the negotiations via his salesman .Who went into his office six times ,the sales manager wasn't courteous enough to come out and say thankyou for the business .thats an industry must .

So all in all a good car probably ,but a shabby buying experience ,which took the shine off the experience .

Is it just this Hyundai dealership ,or do they all operate like this ?

That is a shame and I'm sorry you had that experience as it does no-one any favours. You asked if they all operate like this and of course you and I won't know that but, in my own case, I also had a phone call whilst we were en-route to the dealership to collect the i10. They said the car wasn't prepared for collection so could we re-appoint the collection (as though there was an option !!!). As I was within half a mile of the dealer I continued and spotted, what was my car, albeit it didn't have my own personal plate on it. as it should have....it had a completely different, normal issue, number. I looked over the car which hadn't been valeted or prepared in any way and spotted felt roof chippings in crevices all over the upper surfaces of the car. The rear hatch also had the abrasion marks where the tradeplates would have rubbed on the paint as it was delivered. It had 65 miles on it so clearly did a little trip up the road to get to the dealers.

That was just the start of a particularly unedifying period of time as Hyundai UK and I discussed firstly whether, and secondly how, they would attend to a vibration coming from the transmission (see HJ What's Bad for the i10).

These things stick in your mind and spoil your enjoyment of the car...as you found out.

So I got to learn quite a bit about how the Hyundai Customer Service operation functions. (It isn't actually Hyundai that run it - but the RAC who run it for them from that huge glass palace which is RAC Bescot control centre by the M6).

We live and learn.

Tony, which dealer did you use?

Edited by daveyjp on 28/02/2013 at 17:56

Hi dave,
I'm not sure it would be a good idea to name them ,I think the forum rules are against name and shame .

In addition if I specified the dealership ,I could end up in a slanging match ,yes you did no I didn't variety .

I think the best we could hope for is that Hyundai the importer will read this and realise that distributors can let a good product down .

"Is it just this Hyundai dealership ,or do they all operate like this ?"

No they don't.

The dealer we bought our i20 from at the end of April was really good. When we placed the order, we popped into the dealer on spec on a Sunday afternoon after being let down on an appointment/test drive by a Mazda dealer we had bought three new cars from.

Even though we had popped in on spec, we had a test drive, felt the i20 fitted our requirements and placed the order that afternoon.

We took delivery on the day promised. All the accessories we'd ordered were fitted bar one - which was on back order with Hyundai (and fitted a few weeks later).

I would certainly do business with them again.

Hyundai i20 - Automatic gearbox - Avant

I would guess that Tony's Hyundai dealer was part of a chain. When we were thinking about an i10 for my daughter, the local dealership's saleman was unenthuasiastic (although he did lwt us have an unaccompanied test drive), and we felt much more welcome at Platts of High Wycombe, a family-owned business who did an equally good deal.

The car was in stock, ready on time and so far has been faultless - touch wood.

The Hyundai dealership we used was part of a chain - operating dealerships selling Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, Mazda, Saab repairs, Toyota, VW and Volvo.

I went to two dealerships. The first was a smaller dealership and it just gave me bad vibes. The dealer name is very amateurish, a very young salesman greeted me, he was well versed in the patter learned at training school, but no idea how to judge his customer before going into the BS. His first approach was all about monthly budget and finance, not about the cars I was actually interested in, which as a first visit was i10, i20 and possibly an ix20 ( discounted due to cost and availability).

The car in the showroom didn't have a battery, so the boot couldn't be opened. I'm still waiting for the call to view a car, but too late now. TBH it all felt a bit amateurish.

Second is part of a huge chain which I bought a car from many years ago. A list of cars was provided and a deal was done within half an hour, subject to seeing the actual car as being a large chain the cars aren't held on site. The problem with bumper was inconvenient, but it was fixed as promised.