What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - brake fluid - drogers

I have had since new a Jan 2008 (last of Mk2) petrol 1.8 Hatch, done 23K miles just going in for a service soon is there any point in having brake fluid changed ???

I read it had to be changed after so many years - is there any advantages in having this done or should I leave it longer ?

I aim to run this car for some years yet.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - bathtub tom

Watch this (from 1:40 if you're bored). I've tried it and it seems kosher.

workshop.search-autoparts.com/_Can-You-Believe-Thi...l

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Cris_on_the_gas

yes, brake fluid detoriates over time normally should be changed every 2-3 years.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Collos25

Garages lead you to believe that brake fluid must be changed quite often giving them another lucrative income stream whereas in reality it will last for years.Yes its hydroscopic but it is not open to the air to absorb moisture.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Cris_on_the_gas

yep but worth changing as brakes are important

Ford Focus - brake fluid - TeeCee

I wouldn't go as far as my father used to though. Nearest thing his cars ever got a fluid change was a dilution of the grotty, purple stuff with new, transparent stuff when anything needed bleeding(!)

Cars still seemed to stop though, even when the brakes were used heavily.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Peter D

The cap is vented to the atmosphere and as the level drops when the brakes are pressed the level changes. Change the fluid. Regards Peter

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Cyd

Yes, brake fluid should be changed on a regular basis.

But, what constitutes 'regular'?
Well it should definately be changed if the moisture content is 3% or more. This can be determined in a number of ways, but the easiest is to buy a brake fluid tester.

Since most people do not have a brake fluid tester, manufacturers specify a change interval, usually in the range of 2 to 4 years.

Some think that just changing the fluid in the reservoir is ok because apparently the fluid is only exposed to the air (and hence moisture) at the reservoir.
This is wrong. Moisture and oxygen molecules migrate into the fluid through all of the rubber components of the braking system Modern brake hoses are much better than they used to be, but they are still semi permiable to oxygen and moisture.

Not changing the fluid leads to a reduction in the boiling point of the fluid, which can lead to brake fade under heavy braking conditions (an emergency stop on a hot day with a fully loaded car for example). Moisture also causes corrosion of the internal parts of the braking system. It also increases the compressibility of the fluid, so the braking effort is less efficiently transfered to the calipers.

It should cost about £60 - £75 to have the brake fluid refreshed at a good indy garage. Hardly expensive every four years really??

Personally, I use DoT5.1 and bleed it thoroughly every 2 years.

PS DO NOT mix DoT5 into a DoT 4 system (it's easily confused with DoT5.1 - always seemed odd to me that they didn't make it DoT4.1).

Ford Focus - brake fluid - gordonbennet

I too advocate reasonable changes.

Have dismantled enough calipers master and slave cyls in my time and seen enough rusty discoloured gritty sludge where you'd normally expect to find cleanish if old brake fluid on those items to agree that moisture does secrete in and causes deterioration.

If its too costly buy and kit and DIY, simple procedure, once you've bought the kit susequent fluid changes cost pennies.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - Collos25

You should change it when the moisture content goes above the recommended level not when the garage says it wants changing to just to relieve you of some money.

Ford Focus - brake fluid - madf

I have had brakes fade down mountains and fluid boil.

After that I change fluid regularly..