What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Meme13

I bought a car from ford its 6mths old 4 weeks ago the clutch went I thought the problem would be covered under my warrenty I am having problems with Ford who say its down to my driving but this is the 5th car I have bought from them I always take my car for regular service especially in winter checks. They say they have not heard this from other people that ford have refussed to carry out the repair. I have alwayed been a good driver I don't know about mechanics this happened without warning I had passengers in the car when it happened so I would not put them at risk.

Has this happened to anyone else with ford clutch issues. This has been very distressing If anyone has any legal advise would love to hear from you also.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - MikeTorque

It's possible the clutch had been badly ridden by the previous owner/driver(s).
Did the clutch have a high biting point when you test drove it ?

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - gordonbennet

Lots of modern car clutch issues cropping up where drivers have owned cars for donkeys years previously without the slightest problem.

You can only hope the dealer will urge Ford to do the decent thing, however this isn't Toyota or Honda dealer or manufacturer we are discussing here, it one of nearly ALL the others so be prepared to be blamed and pay up.

If you are blamed and paying make sure in writing that all the parts are to be made available for you to take away with you, wouldn't hurt to let them know at the time you leave it that they will be needed for an independent engineer you have consulted to examine for a possible future action...you may not have the slightest intention but it wouldn't do any harm to put the wind up 'em a bit.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/01/2013 at 22:59

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Collos25

If you bought the car new any fault with the clutch do to driving style would be your fault if you bought the car secondhand who was the previous owner a lot of nearly new cars were owned by rental companies or driving schools.But ask to see the parts when they change the clutch I suspect that there is a manufacturing fault but the Ford agents will never admit to a problem even if 99% of cars come in with the same fault.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - thunderbird

Reject the car, its not fit for purpose. Lots of advice on here about how to do it.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - focussed

Collos mentioned cars previously owned by driving schools.

The AA driving school lease or rent Focuses and Fiestas to their franchised instructors.

They are generally replaced at 6 months with no more than 16k miles on the clock.

The V5 will not show that the AA driving school was the first owner, it will show a lease company.

These cars are returned to the Ford dealer network and are sold on forecourts with no acknowledgement of their having been a driving school car.

The giveaway is holes high up in the passenger footwell where the dual controls have been mounted, these should have been plugged with expanding plastic rivet plugs and possibly the insulation under the carpet both sides may have been cut about.

Also the brake and clutch pedal stems may have marks on them where the dual control cable ends have been clamped on.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Robbob

I have a 10 month old 1.0L petrol Ford Focus Bought from new off a Ford main dealer. The DMF & clutch failed at 9,000 miles, Ford stated it was not covered under warranty, ( Poor driving practices ?)I had to pay for the complete clutch assembly to be replaced. The replacement clutch failed again after 3,000 mls Ford again stated it was not covered under warranty,(Poor driving practices) I had to again pay £975.00 to get the car back. After 100 mls there is again signs of the clutch burning out (Smell & clutch operation) In total the car has had 3no replacement clutches fitted during its life of just 10 months. The car is driven by a lady driver with 16 years experience, more than 50% of the driving is on motorways. Ford will not accept that their may be a problem with the car that keeps burning out clutches.I have commissioned an independant report which states the clutch/car had inherrent problems.

Currently taking the case to arbitration.

Edited by Avant on 16/02/2014 at 22:19

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - CPMcKenzie

I have just had a similar experience on a Ford Focus Zetec 2013 1.0 litre eco boost bought new from a Ford main dealer in June 2013. The clutch disintegrated on the motorway in 6th gear causing a massive and dangerous loss of control. The car has done 12,000 miles. Ford said it was "driving style" and as such the warranty was not valid and the repair was my cost. My BMW has not had a new clutch (60,000 miles) and nor did the previous Volkswagen - 135,000 miles. I gave up and paid the £1,000 for the repair but was not happy at all. I do wonder whether there is a genuine problem with the clutch on the Focus and has anyone succeeded in persuading Ford that clutch failure at 12,000 or 9,000 miles may not really be "Driving Style".

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Coombs33

I bought a car from ford its 6mths old 4 weeks ago the clutch went I thought the problem would be covered under my warrenty I am having problems with Ford who say its down to my driving but this is the 5th car I have bought from them I always take my car for regular service especially in winter checks. They say they have not heard this from other people that ford have refussed to carry out the repair. I have alwayed been a good driver I don't know about mechanics this happened without warning I had passengers in the car when it happened so I would not put them at risk.

Has this happened to anyone else with ford clutch issues. This has been very distressing If anyone has any legal advise would love to hear from you also.

Hi Meme13

I had a simular issue, mine went at just over 7months after purchase and 2nd hand. i had a years warrantee and they said they would inspect the car but if it isnt a warrenteed part it would be £400 for inspection.

What i did was tell them if it is not a warrantee part dont put the car back together and ill have another garage inspect it and make a 2nd opinion. They called back in a couple of hours and said it was a warrantee part so it may be worth trying.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - DanielRussell

Hi

I've got a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 100, which is on a 64 plate and was purchased new from Bristol Street Motors Redditch.

From about 1,000 miles, I started to get a intermittent dull whine from the clutch when going at low speed and in reverse, and then I also had intermittent issues with selecting gears.

From about 2,000 miles, the whine got more regular and louder but was still intermittent.

I took the car to Cornwall on holiday without problems, but did have occasional smell from the clutch as if it was getting hot when it had been under a load.

When i got back from Cornwall, the whine was getting louder, and i booked it in to Bristol Street Motors to have a look and said i think that the problem is the gearbox linkage or the clutch and wanted it looked at. Gears were crunching intermittently and was hard to select and said after reading this and other threads on gearbox/clutch weaknesses, that I wanted it looked at. I also phoned Ford CRC too for guidance.

The car went in the garage in September, and they told me they had the clutch open and checked the gearbox. They said that the clutch had lots of dust behind and in front of the plate but said that the car was of a low mileage and Ford wouldnt let them do anything more. They did adjust the gearbox linkage but thats all.

Following the garage visit, I am a bit worried because there is more regular clutch whine and dont know what to do. Can anyone help?

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - galileo

Can't imagine how a clutch can whine, a gearbox whine is more likely.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - slkfanboy

The clutch has a number of bearing and I guess one of these woud be the cause

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Coombs33

I had a clutch issues it was my flywheel that took out my clutch ford said it wouldnt be covered by warrenty and repeatedly threatened me with a £400 bill just for inspecting the damage i told them i would py £200 half the bill so they would take the gearbox off inspect if it wasnt warrenty leave the box in the boot and ill get a second opinion. Ford phoned me up to say all work completed cost covered through warrenty.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Martyn Oliver

I also have recently had my clutch go on a ford focus 1.0 ecoboost engine. I've had the car from new for 2 1/2 years and it's done 24k.

The AA recovery man said the master cylinder had gone, advised me to limp home pumping the clutch pedal to get any pressure. Which I did.

The Ford garage I bought the car from & had it annually serviced have tried everything to get the warranty department to approve the repair, which they have refused to do. As per the other posters on here, they have said it is poor driving on my part, which is absolutely not true I have been driving for over 30 years, my last focus did over 80k without the clutch needing any repair.

Communication from Ford Customer Relationships has been absolutely disgusting, all I've had is automated replies to my emails and some poorly paid call centre person who got a very angry customer on a call, who couldn't do anything to address my complaint.

No communication from anyone at Ford, I am absolutely disgusted with Ford and it's so called 3yr warranty.

Can anyone provide some advise on how to take Ford to either the small claims court or arbitration or how to involve the ombudsman?

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - ExA35Owner

Be aware that your legal case - if any - is with the dealer not with Ford. Your contract to purchase the car was with the dealer.

The warranty is a deal with Ford but you need to look at the small print. What exactly does it cover? You'll likely find that wear-and-tear items are excluded and that the clutch is part of this exclusion.

If I'm right, you are seeking a goodwill contribution from Ford, or you are into launching a small-claims court case against the dealer.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Steveieb
Was this the issue that HJ took on board and found a faulty clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing was to blame in lots of examples.
But these cases highlight the need to pay for part of the cost of major items on a credit card,say £100 and doing so the credit card company are jointly responsible and will take the case up on your behalf.
Nationwide are particularly good at this process.
Ford Focus - Clutch problems - bazza

There's quite a difference between a clutch master cylinder going and the clutch plates wearing out and the clutch slipping. In the latter case, it is easier for the dealer to try and blame incorrect driving technique on the wear. I cannot see how that could apply to a master cylinder, which is either working or it is not, regardless of who is driving. If that component has failed under warranty period, I would expect that to be replaced free of charge, as it is not a service item.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - SLO76
A clutch is unfortunately a wear and tear item so unless you can prove via an engineers report that it has failed through a fault and not wear then you are reliant on the level of goodwill the manufacturer will offer. Which in Ford's case is sweet f all.

I've had two clutches replaced over the last five years. One was a VW Caddy SDi van with nearly 20,000 miles and within a month of the end of its three year warranty. It had developed a terrible judder from cold and was next to undrivable until it warmed up. Our local VW dealer argued our case and VW replaced it foc without quibble. I had expected to have to make a contribution but nothing was asked. Wee van was returned fully valeted inside and out too. Excellent service.

Second was on our current 64 plate Honda CRV which was more of a battle thanks to a disinterested and substandard dealer who fobbed me off with "it's a characteristic of the vehicle sir" and "it's down to your driving style." I've been driving for 22 years and never burnt through a clutch yet. Both have been down to a manufacturing fault. VW and their dealer accepted this and found a seal had failed allowing oil to contaminate the clutch plate.

I made a complaint to Honda customer service and they couldn't have been any more helpful. Car was reassessed and found the glaringly obvious fault I'd been complaining to the dealer about since it was 6mths old and swiftly replaced the clutch for free at 24,000 miles. They agreed a manufacturing fault had existed. The local dealership is sadly run by a group with a very poor reputation.

Realise it's no help to your case but might help when it comes time to look for a replacement. Both Honda and VW themselves earn top marks from me and Ford should take note that both have bought brand loyalty from me and a regular recommendation to others that's resulted in several sales to friends and family. Good service pays off Ford.
Ford Focus - Clutch problems - RT

The clutch plate and thrust bearings are wearable parts - but the rest of the components would be expected to last much longer - a slave cylinder should be covered by warranty.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Martyn Oliver

Thanks for all the postings on this.

I've agreed a deal with my local dealer, who have been excellent (Ford Keighley).

The clutch problem has been repaired and I've had to make a £99 contribution to the repair, it's also cost me £109 for the hire vehicle while I've been arguing with Ford uk.

Still really unhappy with Ford UK, warranty department still refusing to accept a fault, but think the deal is the best I can get.

Definitely will not be buying another ford car, as this experience has really soured me against them.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - SLO76

Thanks for all the postings on this.

I've agreed a deal with my local dealer, who have been excellent (Ford Keighley).

The clutch problem has been repaired and I've had to make a £99 contribution to the repair, it's also cost me £109 for the hire vehicle while I've been arguing with Ford uk.

Still really unhappy with Ford UK, warranty department still refusing to accept a fault, but think the deal is the best I can get.

Definitely will not be buying another ford car, as this experience has really soured me against them.

Don't think that's a bad result. Certainly a lot less than you would've paid had you just accepted it. I expected to pay a contribution for both of my examples due to the miles travelled but guess VW and Honda just go that extra mile.
Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Darren 4560

Could I ask what the fault was with the clutch as I'm having the same problem and having to pump my clutch to select gears, I've had it bleed twice now and at first it works fine but after a long drive it's back to square 1..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - John F

Could I ask what the fault was with the clutch as I'm having the same problem and having to pump my clutch to select gears, I've had it bleed twice now and at first it works fine but after a long drive it's back to square 1..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Possibly the clue is further back in this thread.........."Was this the issue that HJ took on board and found a faulty clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing was to blame in lots of examples."

Why put the slave cylinder inside the bell housing? A ploy to make more work for mechanics when it needs new seals? There must be a design/material fault if experienced drivers with no previous clutch problems are having failures within 50,000m. My records show that my wife and I drove our second hand 1983 Passat GL5 from 5,500m to 192,000m. It snapped the clutch release cable (metal fatigue) every 40,000m or so but it never needed a new clutch. Shouldn't clutch plates last longer than 30yrs ago?

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - SteveLee

Shouldn't clutch plates last longer than 30yrs ago?

No, because they banned asbestos which was, and still is, the best material for the job.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - John F

Shouldn't clutch plates last longer than 30yrs ago?

No, because they banned asbestos which was, and still is, the best material for the job.

Modern pulp kevlar has been shown to perform better than asbestos for clutch/brake pads.

If Ford clutches fail so early there must be something wrong with their choice of material, or perhaps the unwise design of an internal slave cylinder means that if it leaks, it contaminates it? I suspect they may need to look to their supplier, as they have had to do for their troublesome gearboxes (Getrag).

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - barney100

Friends newish Fiesta had 2k on the clock and bang goes the cluch. Ford didn't want to know and said it must have been driven badly.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - RobJP

Only thing your friend can do is get it dismantled by an independent garage, and see if anything was faulty. If so, then they sue the supplying dealership for the full cost.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - madf

Friends newish Fiesta had 2k on the clock and bang goes the cluch. Ford didn't want to know and said it must have been driven badly.

Ford denied their carp CVT system was badly deisgned despite having to handle 20% more Torque than designed for..

See also GM not recalling burning cars.

US companies with no morals.. buy at your peril..

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - galileo

Ford denied their carp CVT system was badly deisgned despite having to handle 20% more Torque than designed for..

See also GM not recalling burning cars.

US companies with no morals.. buy at your peril..

My trusted independent told me he had an overheated Audi brought in by the AA; one of the 15 amp fan fuses next to the battery had NOT blown, but the ends had got so hot the plastic holder had melted. Apparently this is a common problem which has led to fires on some models, hopefully a better design is now in use.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - sandy56

If you check on this site the Ford Focus has a history of clutch problems.

That is why I advised my son to get a Civic and not a Focus, and he is very happy with his choice.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - Kimberly Smith

I have a 2016 Ford Focus, I just yesterday got it back from Marshall Mize from having the clutch plate fixed again for the 2nd time in the last 8 months. Mines covered under my warranty, so I don't see why yours isn't.

I also have another 2016 foFord Focus sports edition, and I've had the clutch plate changed in it once already also. I've only opened these car since September of 2017.

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - daveyK_UK

Common problem, Ford have not demonstrated any ownershhip of the issue

Ford Focus - Clutch problems - TickersPlaysPop

Just like the engine failure issue. Group legal action has just started.

#ecoboom

www.roscoereid.com/ford-ecoboost-engines/

key words: Coolant low loss focus fiesta c-max b-max ecosport problems starting overheating head gasket seal degas hose heater matrix leak