What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
APCOA parking ticket - apcoa parking ticket

hi

i got a ticket on my car from these saying PARKING CHARGE NOTICE in the hospital grounds there was no yellow lines on the road (no lines at all) but there was a small notice at the bottom of the road i never seen, i no theres been changes made at the end of 2012 but dont know my rights do i have to pay this or contact to explain or ignore

any help welcome

thank you

APCOA parking ticket - Armitage Shanks {p}

What did the notice that you didn't see say? Photograph it and you may be able to make a case that it was too small and/or not placed where it could be seen and understood by users of the car park.

APCOA parking ticket - FP

I'm in a similar position to the OP, having been issued before Christmas with a demand for payment by APCOA for allegedly parking in the wrong zone in a station car park, though I had bought a ticket and was correctly displaying it.

I have retained the ticket, and the day after the alleged breach returned to the car park to take a large number of photos to illustrate the inadequacy of the signage.

So far I have done nothing and intend to do as little as possible. If APCOA contact me again it will be via DVLA. I shall still do nothing unless or until there is a court summons. At this point I shall contact APCOA and tell them I intend to contest their claim and on what grounds, pointing out I have evidence.

I doubt very much that it will get to this stage, still less beyond it.

APCOA parking ticket - Bromptonaut

Until late 2012 the landowner/parking company could only pursue the driver. As they had no power to compel the owner to name they were on a hiding to nothing.

As a quid pro qou for clamping being made illegal the govt legislated so as to allow the parking company to enforce against the keeper.

There is supposed to be signage making clear that land is private and what the charges are for those parked either without permission or who've overstayed paid for time. IF that signage were absent or unclear you might have a defence.

OTOH most hospitals have access roads that need to be kept clear and paid for car parks. Anybody parking parking on the access roads should know they're chancing it.

Assuming it's only £30 or £40 and you don't fancy a protracted battle leading to a County Court inninigs on a sticky wicket you might be better to pay up.

hi

it did say no parking but it was at the bottom of the road facing away from were i was so i had to pass it and turn round to see it, i was told you can ignore these as they are not from police or council does that not stand now?

APCOA parking ticket - Armitage Shanks {p}

hi

it did say no parking but it was at the bottom of the road facing away from were i was so i had to pass it and turn round to see it, i was told you can ignore these as they are not from police or council does that not stand now?

So did you read it on the way in and ignore it or or did you see it on the way out and say "Oh bother" If you could legally ignore it then ACPOA would not have become involved. I think all depends on the visibility and clarity of the signage, in this case.

hi

i read it on the way back to the car as it was on the bend at the end of the road

no no on the way back

hi

Not so easily. Before they had to identify a driver to sue. Now they have a clear target in the keeper. They may still threaten and cajole rather than issue proceedings but no guarantee.

You can still try ignoring but if you get a County Court Summons you must respond/defend or judgment by default will follow.

APCOA parking ticket - FP

"Assuming it's only £30 or £40 and you don't fancy a protracted battle leading to a County Court inninigs on a sticky wicket you might be better to pay up."

That's the nub of the question - will they go that far. As for saying a County Court case would be "an innings on a sticky wicket", that is questionable. If the signage is not clear, then you've got a good case. And a County Court case is not protracted and there's no need for a protracted battle beforehand.

Where you are of course absolutely correct, B, is in saying you must not ignore a court summons, but I feel you are taking too soft a line elsewhere.

I suggest the OP refers to this advice from Pepipoo:

tinyurl.com/yedppln

The suggestion that you appeal at the appropriate point to POPLA, which will cost APCOA money, is very attractive.

Edited by FP on 23/01/2013 at 12:24

APCOA parking ticket - EMC

Hi i'm new to this forum so thought i'd try and add my ''PARKING CHARGE NOTICE'' here and explain my situation. I have been doing some reasearch and so far i'm under the impression to ignore everything unless i get court summons letters. But here it is.

I was parked outside the local post office (street by the side of the main road) on single yellow lines, picking up 2 TAX discs and reciepts(which i have pictures of stating the time as 9:13am) I come to my car at around 9:14 am, see the PEO walk around the corner, i step into my car and then notice the ticket on the screen. I then imediately ripped it off and ran over to him. I told him BY law you can not do this, You have issued me a ticket in a time scale of 9:12am - 9:14am i have literally just stepped out of the post office with tax discs in my hands. He said yes i can do this. So i asked for his name, he refused to give, so i then took pictures of his badge number, company name APOCA, and his SCOOTER registration plate. I then said you tell your company by LAW they are wrong and cannot expect me to pay this. I then tried to give the PEO the ticket, he walked away from the scooter, so dropped it inside the compartment of his scooter. He then said you will be arrested for that. I said well ring the police now i will wait here. He refused to do so. The road i was parked on was public road on a saturday morning. I then walked back to my car and drove home, after dropping of the 2 TAX discs at my uncles motor company.

Any suggestions will help alot, if i am wrong on anything please state and by all means enlighten me with any infomation.

Thanks

Edited by EMC on 17/02/2013 at 16:16

EMC

First of it needs to be clear what sort of ticket you've got. If it was on the highway then it's likley to be a Penalty Charge Notice issued by an APCOA employee contracted to the Local Council. They have specific powers to do so under the Traffic Management Act and unless you can appeal to the Council or the Independent Adjudicator you're going to have to pay it - o/wise the bailiffs will be around and it will cost far more than paying now while you get a discount.

If it was on private land and is a Parking Charge Notice then the advice about the Protection of Freedoms Act on this thread and others apply. The Landowner can proceed against the keeper, the only question is how far they will push it. As it's only four months since the law changed there's not much 'precedent' to tell us how companies will act. Try ignoring by all means but if you get a County Court summons you need to act.

If you were parked on yellows in controlled hours, albeit for only a few minutes, what defence do you rhink might appply? 'I was only there for two minutes' won't wash.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/02/2013 at 16:43

So how can i pay for this ticket if i don't have it anymore...shall i ring the coincil up? Who APOCA have been issued/directed to do so? I was just currently writing a letter to the local council about the situation. But as you stated 2mins in a controlled single yellow line won't wash up. So i guess i must pay. And want to pay now before they attempt at doubling it.

thanks for this.

Ringing the Council is probably the best answer but some have on line payment faciliites - may just need your reg number.

Otherwise they will send you (or the keeper) a Notice to Owner which will restate the early payment offer.

Yes you are correct i tried finding their 24/7 number. Funny how it states and you can ring this number as below, can you see one because i cant haha!

www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/GettingAbout/Parking/Pay...m

Also i would of expected a simple TYPE IN REGISTRATION BOX but they ask for reference and won't let me go through without that. So i'm guessing my best bet is to just wait until the offices open up for the standard number, as i do have 14 days for the first initial payment...right...

Thanks Again...This was just a nice confirmation from you...It hit me when i saw the sign on google maps...Mon-Sat No park 8am-9pm DOH!

Thinking about it they need to relate any payment to a specific ticket and there would be data protection issues if any Tom Dick or Harry could see a vehicle's ticket history simply by using the reg. Needs some other verification like the ticket number or a registered username.

APCOA parking ticket - Dwight Van Driver
Bromptonaut and others

Schedule 4 Protection of Freedom Act 2012 as you are aware deals with parking on private land i.e. Hospitals etc.

Under Section 3 of 4th Schedule a condition is placed that the prohibition is signed specifying the sum to be charged

AND

ARE ADEQUATE to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park. (3,b.ii)

In the above case is there an argument that signing is defective because it is only visible on the way out?????

Just a thought????

dvd

(Lurve the fact that the site now has spell check)

Only visible on the way out..but i was parked literally next to it...it was just out of vision as i pulled up as it was standing next to a LAMP post.

Surly they can easily track the ticket by me stating the reg...regardless of whoever it is...at the end of the day they're getting money!!