What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - dac1

Hi all,

I’m looking to purchase a new car. The car I currently have is too small causing me a knee problem. I’m thinking of a Ford Focus. On driving to work I saw two 2006 models but one was a three door and one was a five door. I’m sure the three had much wider doors than the front doors of the five doors, was I seeing things or is this really the case?
If this is the case then does Ford have to build different shells for the cars as the pillar will be aligned differently depending on the number of doors the car has?
Is it just the Ford Focus that has different sized front doors who do other manufacturers do the same?
I’m interested to know if a three door car will be better for me to get in and out of as I’m 6’ 4” and do have trouble of getting in and out.

Thanks.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - thunderbird

All 3 doors cars have bigger fornt doors than their 5 door equivalent, its to make getting into the back possible.

With regards to what is easier for you try both and decide.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - skidpan

I’m interested to know if a three door car will be better for me to get in and out of as I’m 6’ 4” and do have trouble of getting in and out.

Don't take this the wrong way but is nobody able to make a decision for themselves today.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - Auristocrat

If you garage the car, the wider doors of a 3 door car can result in a narrower gap through which to enter/leave the car. The same can apply to parking spaces where a wall or barrier is along the same side as the opening door.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - unthrottled

The narrow width of most available parking spaces-plus the extra weight of the bigger door) make 3 door cars a pain. The seat B pillar is also further back so you have an awkward reach for the seat belt. They only advantage is the stiffer body construction. 6' 4" is no big deal-even in a small car.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - dac1

Thanks for your replies, it's food for thought.

"6' 4" is no big deal-even in a small car." - it is in a 2004 Corsa (five door) as my knees have to go around the steering wheel and then angle in to the pedels causing a strained/popping right knee.

I would like a small car (cheap to drive, easier to park) but have a feeling I will need to purchase a mid-sized car to be able to drive comfortablty, just looking to find a cheap one that fits my needs.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - thunderbird

I would like a small car (cheap to drive, easier to park) but have a feeling I will need to purchase a mid-sized car to be able to drive comfortablty, just looking to find a cheap one that fits my needs.

You would have no problems in a Kia Ceed. You should find an early one for sensible money but as with any car condition and service history is king.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - jamie745

Yes they do. One of the new shape Fiesta's I drove was a 3 door, that has massive doors like an old Coupe.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - Avant

The only car that had the same size doors in both configurations (2- and 4-door in this case) was the Morris Marina, because British Leyland were so strapped for cash that they couldn't afford the extra tooling.

Dac1, you need to try various cars for size, and only you can judge whether you're comfortable or not. You may be long in the trunk or the legs or a bit of both - one 6'4" man might be comfortable, another uncomfortable, in the same car.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - jamie745

It's amazing many of us laugh and point at General Motors, despite the fact British Leyland is still clearly not long enough ago for us to forget.

Any - Do three door cars have bigger front doors? - Paul87

I have a 3 door polo but have also driven the 5 door variant.

As Im 6ft3" I have to move the seat quite far back. I have noticed that the b pillar on the 5 door polo does restrict some of my side view as its not as far back, and is more awkward to get in and out of. I found this the same with a 07 reg focus we have at work being a 5 door it does restrict my sidewards/ back qauter view, not as bad as a 5dr polo but It is annoying for me!

As mentioned though the major disadvantage is the space the door takes up when opened it can be awkward to get out of the car in a small space and the extra two doors does make the rear space more usuable/ comfortable for passsengers.

Edited by Paul87 on 23/01/2013 at 00:58