What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MAZDA 323F - MAZDA 323F SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL - 323F-owner

Hi I have recently bought a 96 Mazda 323f 2.0 V6 24V. Great little car however recently there has been a strange loud tapping like noise coming from the main engine block. I have had many different opinions of what it could be: 'The oil needs changed' or one of the valves could be blocked . Basically the car sounds like a Diesel, although the car still drives ok, the water and temp are fine, the oil is still at the right level etc...however i hace been told it may be the type of oil in the car that is the problem, I am going to change the oil this weekend and see if it makes any difference, but thought I would ask on here first just in case anyone knows of any known issues or similar issues with mazda's or 323's?

Thanks Nick

MAZDA 323F - MAZDA 323F SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL - thunderbird

Its a very old car and the V6 will be very expensive to sort. Run it until it dies and scrap it, not worth the hassle. The previous owner sold it for a reason, you have now discovered that reason.

MAZDA 323F - MAZDA 323F SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL - Collos25

Without a doubt a bearing going if its as loud as you say its probably a big end bearing answer to the problem as above .

Hi there,

thank you both for your speedy replies. It's certainly audible when you are stationery it''s not overly loud but I can tell something is not right. I have had the car for about three months, it has only done 70,000(genuine as car is in mint condition inside and out and have all the service history etc) and has been mostly kept in a garage for the best part of a decade. However the noise wasn't there when I bought it and the car has just been fully serviced and MOT'd. this has only just started a week or so ago....I guess further analysis will tell eventually. I agree with what you are saying about running it til it dies, but like I said its only done 70'000 and I love the little b*****!! lol

Thanks again nick

MAZDA 323F - MAZDA 323F SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL - countryroads

Change the oil to a 5w40 fully synthetic when you have it changed and change it every 3k miles to see if it quiets down........ but be aware on these V6s a rattle can often be a failing timing belt tensioner so dont neglect that if it is, otherwise goodbye motor.

There are other noises compatible with other faults with these engines, I suggest you check out mx6.com, they know all about these over there..good luck

They are kind of prone to tappet rattle, there is a procedure to test the tolerance but it is fairly involved and thus costly at a garage, so just do oil changes first, dont use a flush...

Edited by countryroads on 15/01/2013 at 17:16

Guys..thanks so much for all your help.

Pages like these are invaluable. Timing belt and tappets are two things that have been mentioned by a few people who have looked at it...The Tappets were my first guess when I first heard it to be honest but like you said none of these to be ruled out until checked properly. Also thanks for the link to the website I will certainly head over there. I just hope it is something minor and not the beginning of the end of a nice example of a V6 323....Thanks again folks.

Nick