What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda FRV - Honda FRV popping out of some gears - davemar

I've got a Honda FRV 2.0 petrol with the 6-speed manual gearbox. Yesterday my other half suddenly found she had trouble selecting some gears. Gears 1, 3 & 5 would keep popping out and going into neutral, but gears 2, 4 & 6 were fine. I had a quick drive down the road and certainly 1st gear was both difficult to get into and didn't want to stay engaged. I'd driven the car the previous day and it was absolutely fine; so it a sudden change and not a gradual degredation.

I can't seem to find anything on the internet reporting problems with FRV (or CRV) manual gearboxes, so I wonder if anyone else has any ideas? The car has done about 75k miles and is 6 years old.

Thanks.

Honda FRV - Honda FRV popping out of some gears - Oli rag

I'd suspect the gear linkage to be at fault, I'm not sure if you have rods or cables on this model, but should hopefully be a quick one to diagnose and to repair if you take it to a garage.

Having a quick web search and it appears to be cable linkages. I'll try and have a poke around if there's a break in the weather. I hope it's something like this and not the gearbox itself!

Honda FRV - Honda FRV popping out of some gears - Peter.N.

It sounds as though its not fully engaging the problem gears so its very likely to be the linkage.

I whipped off the air filter box this morning to have a better look (not nice weather for car tinkering!). One of the gear linkage cables has its sleeve slip off so doesn't pull correctly, which is obviously the problem. So you guys are right on that one!

Unfortanately it might mean I have to replace the cable which can only come as the set of two and isn't cheap (Honda parts at £££££!). In the meantime I'll see if I can improvise a method of clamplng the sleeve back into place. At least the job shouldn't be a difficult one and something I can tackle myself.

It's a pity I can't attach photos on this forum to show the fault.

Here's a picture:

dl.dropbox.com/u/109863326/IMAG0058.jpg

You can see the cable on the left.

Honda FRV - Honda FRV popping out of some gears - Big Rick
I know this is an old thread. I have the same problem. Is it a big job? Do you have other photos as your one is no longer available. Thanks.