What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i30? - Advice, family car with big boot - kemurf
Your advice please for a large family car, from a novice car purchaser!

We are 2 adults, 2 under 5's, currently driving a 14 year old Golf. Love this car as it is so reliable, but noisy, old, takes ages to defrost in the winter...

We need more boot space and general space in the car, plus fancy something newer, especially as we travel to visit family on round 250mile trips a few times a year and want to go camping in France this summer, with all our camping gear. Realise we will still use the roof box for holidays.

What would you suggest on a budget of £7k? We want this car for the next 5 years at least. And something economical. Toyota Avensis? Hyundai i30? The i40 seems to be out of our price range, as does a Mondeo estate and Passat estate.

Have looked at a Mazda5; read good reviews, within our price range, but boot space with rear sets folded down seemed smaller than I had hoped, so maybe an estate is better for us.

And what kind of age car, mileage should I be looking for?

Thank you!

Edited by kemurf on 06/01/2013 at 17:04

Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i30? - Advice, family car with big boot - countryroads

If you look at the Hyundai i30 estate, your budget will get you around a diesel 2008 car, with low mileage. Of course provided it has been serviced correctly, that means it will still have another year of manufacturers warranty on it.

An Avensis is bigger car so more practical, you could get one of about the same age but mileage is likely to be higher...

Of the 2, it comes down to personal choice, both will be reliable and easy to look after.

If you need the space, Toyota is better.

If you will still use a roofbox for holidays though, why not get a saloon or another hatch, dont lug around a bigger can than you need.

The answer to your question really is how long is a piece of string! There are countless options open to you, its really a case of creating a shortlist that you actually like first. Have you test driven anything yet..

Edited by countryroads on 06/01/2013 at 17:14

Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i30? - Advice, family car with big boot - Auristocrat

You're comparing cars from two different market segments - the i30 is in the C-segment (Golf/Focus size) and the Avensis from the D segment (Passat/Mondeo size).

If you want something i30 sized but with bigger boot, you have the Golf, Seat Leon, Toyota Auris, etc. The Skoda Octavia, although in the C-segment class, has a very large boot in hatchback form.

C-segment size estates include the Octavia, i30, Kia Cee'd, Ford Focus, etc

The Kia Carens MPV may be worth looking at - available in five or seven seater versions, and reasonably priced. A 2009 5 seat Carens would fit your budget, may have the balance of the 7 year warranty, and with most having roof rails, would accommodate a roof box easily. With a new model coming out in the Spring, used prices may currently be a bit depressed.