Mitsubishi Carisma 1600cc year 2000 - Cooling fan coming on now and again - mark193

Hi all

My cooling fan been running now and then during the colder weather recently, usually when the air-con is on.Is this to keep the air-con 'bits' cool with it running so much ?

The temp gauge sits plum in the middle as it's always done.

No loss of coolant - car runs great - mpg OK - compressor kicks in and out as it should (is that right?) as the RPM'S rise and fall when I'm sat at lights etc -

Any advice would be welcome

Mark 193

Mitsubishi Carisma 1600cc year 2000 - Cooling fan coming on now and again - elekie&a/c doctor

I would be worried if the cooling fan did not operate under conditions of a/c operation.Perfectly normal,for this, and the compressor to cut in and out.hth

Mitsubishi Carisma 1600cc year 2000 - Cooling fan coming on now and again - mark193

Hi

Thanks for the reply, puts my mind at ease somewhat.

Found a relevant piece on a website

Cooling fan - This ensures there is a consistent airflow across the condenser. If this fails, the refrigerant will not condense and the air conditioning cooling effect will only work when driving at speed. When stationary for several minutes or in slow moving traffic, the cooling will be lost and you may get hot air from the vents. You may also notice an increase in engine temperature, a sure sign of a faulty fan. This should be addressed immediately to avoid causing serious damage to your vehicle. ***WARNING*** Failure of the fan motor can result in engine damage, excessive pressure in the air conditioning system and even fire. if you notice any of the symptoms described above, have your vehicle checked immediately.

Many Thanks

Mark 193