What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiat Panda Multijet 2006 - Suitable fault code reader - pauper

Can anyone recommend a not too expensive fault code reader that will work on a 2006 Panda diesel? I've always serviced our cars, and have worked a lot on classics, and have rebuilt several classic engines. However, an old f*** like me grappling with modern automotive electronics would be like a chimpanzee trying to do brain surgery. On the 60's and 70's vehicles I was brought up on, the most complex electronic component was an SU fuel pump. But the need for fuel economy and the fact that all the old cars are worn out has forced us to buy a modern one.

I realise that the cheaper a OBD reader is, the less it can do, but can I get something that will identify why an engine fault light has come on so I can at least have an idea of which sensor is sending the ecu an unexpected reading? I don't like the idea of having to take it to a garage every time anything whatsoever goes wrong with it, and paying out an hour's labour charge just for them to diagnose the fault, let alone fix it. Will any generic OBD reader do, or will some not work with certain makes? Can I get somethig that will do this for <30 quid?

Thank you for any advice.

Fiat Panda Multijet 2006 - Suitable fault code reader - countryroads

You can download Fiat multiECUscan software, the free version is limited in its capabilites..however a suitable cable is harder to find and quality costs....Fiats are a make even garages can struggle with to be honest but it is doable. Proxy alignments and ESP and key programming etc are far beyond most stuff you can get cheap. You will need an ELM327 interface but its operations are limited and chinese copies are rubbish.

I actually use a £25 cheapy a huge amount that works with most stuff, and have VAG-com etc for VAG cars but Fiats...Nope!

A better choice is a proper CAN interface for Fiat but that is basically garage only and very expensive.

I know it is unethical, but buy one, try it, if it cant read the car take it back etc etc. My sister had a 500 and I had to admit defeat once and take it to Fiat, and I do it for a living! Renaults can be a problem too...