What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo - £1K family cars - MrBiggles

So on New Year's Eve my 13 year old Mondeo died with head gasket failure, on the motorway, 50 miles from home (on my first trip of more than 25 miles in about 6 months of course). It only had 82K miles on the clock and was reasonably well cared for in my 4 years.

A car is a necessity for me, but funds are a bit on the low side, so I'm looking at bangers around the grand mark, give or take a couple hundred. I need something with a largish boot to fit a buggy in it. I do fairly low mileages - as in probably no more than 3500 a year - so economy is actually fairly low priority.

Basically I'm looking for ideas on what to consider, in case I've missed anything.

My current short list is:

• Ford Mondeo
  • Vauxhall Vectra
  • Mazda 626/6
  • Nissan Primera
  • Toyota Avensis
  • Honda Accord
  • VW Passat
  • Skoda Octavia
  • BMW?
  • Merc?
  • Volvo?

Now some rationale for them. I've had a Mondeo, it was comfy, it was reasonably powerful, good to drive and parts were cheap. However, in 4 years I needed front wishbones done twice and I gather that's not that unusual.

The Vectra I'm not wild about, but it might be a bit unfair. Everything I've read indicates that the Mondeo is just all round a better car, so on the one hand I'm not sure they are even worth looking at, but on the other hand, at 10+ years and banger money I'm guessing that condition and care of vehicle count for far more.

The Mazdas, Primera and Avensis are all considered very reliable, so being considered by virtue of that. However I find them all a little uninspiring to look at. Having never driven any of them, how do they compare to the Mondeo?

I've added the Accord because it's in the same sort of category, but they definitely seem to cost more than the other Japanese cars I've mentioned - how does it compare?

The VW Passat seems a nice car, I've had VWs before and they always seemed decent enough but not spectacular. Given that they seem to cost more than Mondeos I again wonder if they are worth looking at.

The Octavia is on there because they are big cars that fit the bill in some regards. But are they the taxi driver's choice because they are good or just because they are cheap? Obviously anything with a stellar mileage is probably a former taxi and therefore going to have a tired interior. But is 200K miles too many?

I've also toyed with the idea of an old luxury car. I've seen some BMW 3 or 5 series and Merc C and E classes at my budget sort of prices. Is the German engineering thing a myth, or is it possible to find something worthwhile at basement prices?

There's a few things not on my list. For instance, I figure that French and Italian cars are probably too unreliable at 10+ years old and therefore I'm likely to encounter problems sooner, so I've not bothered with Lagunas or Alfas (though I've always fancied an Alfa...). I've also left off Rovers on the basis that parts are now getting harder to find.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Galaxy

If I were you I'd buy another Mondeo. I wouldn't even give any of the others a second thought!

For around the £1K mark you should be talking about an exceptional Mark 2 or a nice Mark 3.

The only way the front wishbones would need doing twice in 4 years is if non-manufacturers parts were used for the job. Yes, it's true, you can buy a pair of Mondeo wishbones on Ebay for £22 but there's a reason for that!

In case you think I might be biassed, then, I have to say, I am! My Mondeo is also 13 years old and has done 198,000 miles. Wishbones changed just once, both front springs changed (both snapped, quite common on a whole range of cars these days) water pump changed, cambelt done once, nothing else has ever really gone wrong with it. Just regular servicing, tyres when needed. Changed the battery for the first time last summer, exhaust is still original!

Mondeo - £1K family cars - countryroads

B5 Passat or B5 Audi A4 are good choices IMO. I have an A4 with about 140k on it and its doing very well. Go for a 1.8 20v non turbo petrol and they can go the distance with ease. Watch the cambelt every 4yrs or 40k miles, 6month oil changes with such a low mileage and everything else they need will be stuff everything needs, tyres, brakes etc. Octavia with the same engine is also a nice choice but not as nice a place to sit as the others, and based on Golf style archictecture so not as 'premium' for want of a better term! If you fancy something larger, how about an A6 with the 1.8 20v Turbo....Cambelts are dearer on Octavia etc due to the transverse layout aswell, at least they are when I am charging for the work!

Older C and E class Mercs rust too much for me to go near, and E39 5 series can suffer with rust issues too. Also 6cyls can blow headgaskets and tend to have weak cooling systems as they age. Mondeo however is always a solid choice and they will always have a loyal following. Its a myth they are cheaper to maintain than an Audi or VW though.

Edited by countryroads on 02/01/2013 at 21:19

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Avant

For £1,000 condition is more important than make or model: try to find something that appears to have been well looked after and has some evidence of being serviced.

Avoid diesel; you could do a lot worse than another Mondeo, and there will be lots around to choose from. Look also at the Toyota Avensis, Mazda 6 and Skoda Octavia, all of which will be cheaper than a Passat, let alone a 'prestige' make which will be knackered at that price.

Agreed, buy on condition, you may well come across something nobody has suggested that is a mint, low mileage well serviced motor, they are still out there. I can only go on my experiencing of maintaining cars and common trends. Part of which contributes to what my family and I drive, my dads XJ6 excepted haha!

My A4 was a one previous owner, literally full Audi service history money no object on brakes, tyres etc car. I paid £600 for it 30k miles ago and it drives amazingly well and everything works...pays to travel for a good car in this price bracket too, and try not to buy in a city center, I have always found cheap cars in cities to be basically knackered.

In answer to you question, 200k miles isnt too much for a modern engine....however it would have had to have been maintained very well for all of it, and cars like that have often passed through many hands and therefore its upkeep may be questionable, especially when cars become worth small amounts of money and therefore a big service is a large chunk of its value. My highest mileage car was a BMW 520i, 1994 model, 24v with 276k on it and mechanically it was strong....however it needed 4 shocks, lots of bushes and a clutch, now I did the work myself because I can..but the car lasted me 20k miles and I only paid £100 for it. Bargains are there if you are savvy. Lots of my customers come back to me because I look after older cars with the respect they need and at a good price, they save fortunes because they dont need to buy new ones...but you must be careful and generally, low mileage is better because there has been less opportunity for things to go wrong by accident if you see what I mean! Sorry for the long post by the way folks!

Edited by countryroads on 03/01/2013 at 00:10

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Chris M

How much is it going to cost to fix the head gasket? If the rest of the car is OK, I'd spend a few hundred fixing the devil you know.

What engine does it have? Usually its just a case of a gasket set, head inspection/skim, timing belt if fitted and then fluids and lubricants.

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Happy Blue!

A boring old Korean saloon? Bet you can get a newer one that the European stuff for less money?

Mondeo - £1K family cars - daveyK_UK

kia magentis 2.0 or if you can find one 2.7

hyundai sonata with the same engines.

make sure the cam belts been changed at least twice by the time its 10 years old.

its the only thing which kills them, lazy owners who dont bother to get it changed.

As cam belt changes go, the 2.0 is one of the more simpler cars to work on which makes you wonder what kind of foolish owners have had these cars.

As for repair, haven't fully priced it up. I was on the motorway doing 70 at the time and the engine seems to be completely seized. It's also more than 50 miles from home, so I'd be facing at least another £150 to get it transported home, or find a garage nearer there.

It's a 1.8 petrol.

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies so far.

I went and had a nosey about a couple of used car dealers. Some cars were clearly over priced, others seemed not too bad. I saw a 1997 BMW 523i for ~£1300. Couldn't see a spot of rust on it and interior was quite tidy albeit fabric, not leather. Didn't have time to organise a test drive however. It was an automatic, which was a bit off-putting as I both prefer a manual and also because it seems that BMW autoboxes are sealed for life and thus harder to repair.

For the same money in the same dealers was a 2002 Primera. Externally very nice, internally the interior was all a bit stained. Or a 2003 Vectra, which seemed nice enough. There was also a Mazda 6, but it was already rusting. Heart is definitely saying BMW, head is saying Mondeo or something Asian.

I've looked out for larger Kia or Hyundais, but not really seeing many come up near me to go and look at it. One that appeared was a 2005 Hyundai Elantra CDX CRTD 2 litre diesel for £1350, MOTed until April with 100K miles on it. Pictures look nice and the CDX has leather interior and fancy stuff, but what would you estimate it to be worth? Also, does anyone know what sort of size the boot is? That's one of the important factors for me and what rules out small cars.

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Collos25

Stay away from an old BMW unless you you have very deep pockets

Mondeo - £1K family cars - CJay{P}

Is this through experience or heresay?

I bought a 530i Auto on 125k three years ago, done 23k since. During my ownership, my expenses have been limited to, two oil changes at National tyres, a battery, two tyres and three MOTs.

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Collos25

Is this through experience or heresay?

I bought a 530i Auto on 125k three years ago, done 23k since. During my ownership, my expenses have been limited to, two oil changes at National tyres, a battery, two tyres and three MOTs.

A lot of experience I have a E39 saloon and a E46 compact my son has the latest 330i Alpina coupe plus a 740 and his wife has a e46 coupe they are lovely cars but money pits.

I have always run where possible DB for work but love BMWs now I am retired and have plenty of time to repair my BMWs.

Depending on the mileage and who has owned it, that BMW is just at the right age for the autobox to fail...

I know you are limited distance wise what with the Mondy being U/S but for that budget there is lots of good stuff about.

The Elantra is ok price wise, with a bit of haggling and a new MOT on it, not too bad a deal although I wouldnt pay more than say £1100. Make sure timing belt has been done.

This looks good to me as something a bit less leggy...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-53-KIA-MAGENTIS-LX-SPORTS-...3

Mondeo - £1K family cars - barney100

Interesting problem, the Japanese route seems the most sensible but a Volvo is a recognized long term option if you get a good one. as mileage is low you could geta larger one, S70 maybe.

A further update having trawled around today looking at lots of cars.

Went to a user car dealer that had a number of family size cars at seemingy reasonable prices. However since most of them had dampness inside that had grown mould, I reckon they've been sitting for rather a long time and that sets off alarm bells for me. Moved on.

Next place had a couple of Passats - a 1998 1.8T at £800 and a 2003 estate at £1000, albeit with a aftermarket dent in the side. Also had a couple of Accords and a 626 that was ok, but with the first signs of wheelarch rust.

Next place had a few Vectras which were mediocre - one was rusty, one was high mileage, one was an Opel Vectra saloon. Prices all reflected that though, being between £700 and £900. What I did like at this place was a 51 plate Avensis 1.8 VVTi for £1300 - main dealer service history for the first ten years and last service at a garage that I've used myself. Only 71K miles. Test drove it, seemed pretty nice. I think it's probably a tad overpriced, but I was fairly happy with it and unless there's something I should be wary of, it's on my shortlist. I also took an 02 plate Mondeo mk3 for a spin. Same price (£1300), but service history not as complete. 82K miles. Having had a Mondeo mk2, I was impressed with the improvements in the interior - much nicer looking and OMGXBOXHUGE boot. There was only one thing that bugged me about the car and that was a weird rubbing/scraping noise when turning the wheel. I'm pretty sure it was the steering wheel itself, but it only occurred to me afterwards that it probably is an adjustable steering wheel and maybe it was something to do with that. Would quickly be irritating however and definitely didn't seem right. I'm not totally sure, but I'd be leaning towards the Avensis, even though I enjoyed being in the Mondeo more (noise aside).

The final car I went to see was a slightly different direction. It was a £500 1997 Volvo S70 2.4 10v. It's high mileage, as in 220K. Body is in perfect condition, no rust, no dents, no scratches. Worst thing I could find was a slight mark in the lacquer near the aerial. Interior is clean and shows no signs of heavy use, just a little bit of age. I never got a chance to test drive this as it was getting late, but when I started the engine it seemed to sound ok. It was a bit loud, seemed to be exhaust. With aircon on there was a noticeable droning hum in the background. Actually I didn't realise the aircon was on when I started it and thought that was the weirdest engine noise I'd ever heard and couldn't really figure it out at first, but that was just me being an idiot.

Now it's not got a long MOT, only until April. I'm going to go back and test drive the car and take a mechanic I know along with me to give it a quick once over to see if he thinks the mechanical side is ok. If it is, I'd be interested if the dealer would put a new MOT on it. If he won't do it, even for extra cash, then it's clearly got something major ready to go in which case it's not worth it.

Tomorrow I try finding decent private sales on Gumtree...

Mondeo - £1K family cars - lordwoody

3 years ago I needed a cheap replacement for a Saab 9-5 that was traded in for a new Polo for my wife. I found a Volvo 740 2.3 estate on my local Tesco's ad board, it was a 2 owner pretty immaculate example, looked after for 12 years by its 2nd elderly mechanic owner, with a notebook full of all the work he had done, with all costs. I bought it for £750 ( people told me that was expensive at the time) and , with the exception of 2 tiny problems ( seat refused to move, blocked rear washer, all fixed) it has served me brilliantly for 3 years, it's moved various family members, is comfortable, cheap to service, and when it's washed and waxed, has received various positive comments from others. It looks more like 5 years old, rather than the 16 years it is now, and I love it, I'd much rather have it than my wifes 3 year old Polo. It's main drawback is fuel consumption, so I'm a big convert to older cars/bangernomics, and older Volvos.

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Mike H
Also had a couple of Accords and a 626 that was ok, but with the first signs of wheelarch rust.

You're only spending £1000! As long as it's only cosmetic, it's one of the compromises you could make if necessary. The petrol 626 and the 6 have a good reputation for mechanical reliability.

Edited by Mike H on 13/01/2013 at 08:37

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Bobbin Threadbare

I never had any signs of rust on my 7 year old 6. It depends how its been looked after as well! I'd still have it if the right priced MX-5 hadn't appeared!

Mondeo - £1K family cars - Avant

There are plenty of sound old Volvos around, but one with 220k miles is a bit more of a gamble. The newer Avensis will probably be a safer bet.