What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lincoln - Town Car update - Pebble

Nearly a month has passed since I bought my 2004 Lincoln Town Car, long enough to get a sense of what kind of a ride it is. I love the limousinesque excess of it, the uber-comfortable dimensions and the soft, cushy ride. My wife thinks the heated leather seats are its best feature. When I went out of town one day, I set the cruise control at 55, stuck a Mantovani CD in the player and settled back for a bump-free ride. (Now I'm very much a rock 'n roll guy, but in this car only the most relaxing elevator music seems appropriate...Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Henry Mancini, Sixties bossa nova. Frank Chacksfield?) Very nice. Since buying this car I've added an OEM set of floormats in a matching, tasteful shade of taupe, and a matching dash cover. (This Town Car is burgundy, with a tan vinyl roof and taupe interior.)

Fuel consumption: 23 city/26 highway in Imperial gallons. Acceleration: sedate and civilised. Can reach 60 mph, at least.

My only possible complaint is the donut spare tire in place of a real one. That's not much of a gripe, though; the good things about this car far outweigh the bad. There's a reason Ford sold 10 million of these Panther platform cars over the last three and a half decades. Now if I could only afford to send my wife's Japanese junker (horrors) to the scrapyard and replace it with a proper Ford Excursion.

Lincoln - Town Car update - Happy Blue!
How much did you pay for it? How many miles has it got on it? How many miles will you do? Sounds like a great car for wafting along the highway, but a bit cumbersome for the city! American cars seem to have great economy on the interstate. However I remember many years ago driving a Dodge Aspen in San Franciscoand getting 6mpg (imperial gallon)! Due to all the hills in the city.

A friend in New York City had an Expedition. It was so large it blocked the sun out!
Lincoln - Town Car update - thunderbird
American cars seem to have great economy on the interstate.

Since when has 26 mpg (imperial) been great economy, on the open road in our 1.6 CRDi we get near 60 mpg. If I slowed down to the Anmerican speed limits I would possibly get nearer 70 mpg.

Edited by thunderbird on 01/01/2013 at 10:22

Lincoln - Town Car update - gordonbennet

In other news a rattling stinking tractor engine appeared to be more economical when powering a shoe than a huge petrol engine when cruising a 2.5 ton limo.

At the same time old Pete pedalled along on his bicycle for free.

Exactly. In 1979 I took a road trip from Calgary in Canada, across the Rockies to Vancouver and then over the border and down to San Diego. Driving at 5.2 litre V8 Chrysler we averaged at least 28mpg to the Imperial gallon over about 5,000 miles at a time when fuel in the USA cost less than 25% of the UK price. It was cheaper in Canada near to the oil fields of Alberta. This was the equivalent of over 100mpg in UK terms.

If could drive a huge Yank Tank for the same equivalent, I would.
Lincoln - Town Car update - gordonbennet
If could drive a huge Yank Tank for the same equivalent, I would.

So would i HB, Caddy STS-V and Tundra would be my weapons of choice.

There is a very nice Buick model I see that resembles the previous model Merc E-class but much nicer inside. I could go for that.
Lincoln - Town Car update - jamie745

Since when has 26 mpg (imperial) been great economy, on the open road in our 1.6 CRDi we get near 60 mpg. If I slowed down to the Anmerican speed limits I would possibly get nearer 70 mpg.

Yes but he has a large, luxurious, big engined cruiser where as you've got a diesel hatchback.

Fuel in America is about half the price of here at around 70p a litre, so running a 26mpg car there is as mad as a 52mpg car here.

Lincoln - Town Car update - thunderbird

Yes but he has a large, luxurious, big engined cruiser where as you've got a diesel hatchback.

I have a diesel estate truth be told.

If we had cars that did 26 mpg instead 52 mpg over 20,000 miles a year it would cost us an extra £2500 a year in fuel bills at UK prices, where would there be any sense in that. £2500 is a nice saving that is spent on things in life far more interesting than sittin in traffic in a husge waste of space.

But why would I want a huge yank tank even if fuel cost peanuts and parking spaces were big enough to get in. When we go on holiday our 1.6 diesel estate gets us there in comfort in the same time as any huge gas guzzler would.

Not everybody in the US runs gas guzzlers now or had people not noticed. Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Nissan etc etc sell pretty much the same range as they do over here. Even Toyota sell the hateful Prius to tree huggers.

Edited by thunderbird on 01/01/2013 at 16:51

If we had cars that did 26 mpg instead 52 mpg over 20,000 miles a year it would cost us an extra £2500 a year in fuel bills at UK prices, where would there be any sense in that. £2500 is a nice saving that is spent on things in life far more interesting than sittin in traffic in a husge waste of space.

Perhaps the OP has more money than you and/or doesn't see his car as a waste of space. My car does 26-28mpg.

Not everybody in the US runs gas guzzlers now or had people not noticed. Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Nissan etc etc sell pretty much the same range as they do over here. Even Toyota sell the hateful Prius to tree huggers.

The Japanese have sold well in America since the 80s and the Koreans do ok now as well. Many have changed SUVs for large sedans and gone from V8s to V6's but don't let that trick you into thinking they all drive super economical cars.

The top two best selling cars in America in 2012 aren't actually cars; the Ford F-Series and Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks. Then theres the Toyota Camry, most of which in America are the 3.0V6 model. Ram trucks are still in the top 6 of sellers. The Ford Escape SUV is the 8th biggest seller.

Of course cars like the Nissan Altima, Honda CRV, Chevrolet Cruze and Toyota Corolla also selling well shows theres been a shift in the US but not as big as you think it is.

Perhaps the OP has more money than you and/or doesn't see his car as a waste of space.

Oh, trust me--I *don't* have more money than 99% of posters here--I just like wallowing in cushiness.

Lincoln - Town Car update - unthrottled

Not everybody in the US runs gas guzzlers now or had people not noticed.

By the same token, not everyone in Europe runs around in a Lupo 3L. The popularity of the crossover fad indicates that a lot of Europeans still aspire to a 4x4 but can only afford to run a lookalike.

I know people will say that crossovers are practical and offer the advantage of a higher driving position, but in my view it's just a way of ruining a good hatchback.

Europeans are just as capable of producing thirsty barges as their American rivals when market conditions permit. If you look at the vehicles with the worst fuel economy, expensive European imports outnumber American ones by a good margin.

Of course people aspire to a 4x4 or the like. Who wants to drive a Prius? Or a little eurobox? Or a diesel estate if they don't have to?

Of course people aspire to a 4x4 or the like. Who wants to drive a Prius? Or a little eurobox? Or a diesel estate if they don't have to?

Bravo! Nobody wants Japanese rubbish or a Smart Car. No sir.

Lincoln - Town Car update - mss1tw

Nope.

How much did you pay for it? How many miles has it got on it? How many miles will you do? Sounds like a great car for wafting along the highway, but a bit cumbersome for the city! American cars seem to have great economy on the interstate. However I remember many years ago driving a Dodge Aspen in San Franciscoand getting 6mpg (imperial gallon)! Due to all the hills in the city. A friend in New York City had an Expedition. It was so large it blocked the sun out!

Price: $10995. Mileage: 41,000. I drive about eight thousand miles a year, commuting 12 miles a day and a little more at weekends running errands or attending church. There is *no* better car for long highway trips; the smooth, quiet ride is utterly relaxing. As for the Expedition, that's a "close but no cigar" kind of SUV--the Excursion was bigger still, reminiscent of a small school bus.

Lincoln - Town Car update - craig-pd130

Just checked Car & Driver's figures for a 2003 model, and for a 4,500 pound / 2 ton car, it can move OK: 60 in 9.5, standing quarter in 16.8 / 82mph.

Way to go!

The more I drive it the more I think, "Why didn't I just buy another Crown Vic after the previous one bit the dust?" I had two non-Panther platform cars in between the Vic and this LIncoln, and neither were as good as the Vic or this new beast. Should have just stuck with what works.

Lincoln - Town Car update - glowplug

Your original post pretty much sums up what owners of older Citroens feel about their cars. My XM has a soft ride but fortunately I get better gas mileage with it being a diesel. I still don't understand the appeal of a hard ride on the roads we have in Britain. Each to their own I guess.

Steve.

In fairness most of our roads don't look too bad compared with those in big American cities. Have you seen a New York side street? Jesus christ.

Lincoln - Town Car update - unthrottled

Their highways aren't much better. Often made out of concrete blocks. It's like being on a 19th century train.

Yes they haven't discovered tarmac yet have they.

Here in Las Vegas, some of the streets in the inner city are made of century old blocks. Last time I was in downtown Los Angeles the streets were old paving stones and half-century old, no-longer-in-use streetcar tracks. Things like this make you want a smoooooth, bump-free ride...thus, the Lincoln Town Car steps forward.

In the UK most people assume American roads are very smooth. Mainly because of the long deserted highways you see in the movies but the reality is roads people actually drive on every day in America are beyond shocking and on the whole British roads are better maintained.

When we deride American cars for 'not going round corners properly' we fail to realise they don't want them to. They don't want tight suspension to take corners with minimal bodyroll. They don't want twitchy steering leading to 'good feedback.'

They want an armchair on wheels. Something well soundproofed to protect them from the noise of driving on block concrete and the constant rhythmic bumps.

They want an armchair on wheels. Something well soundproofed to protect them from the noise of driving on block concrete and the constant rhythmic bumps.

Correct! My Lincoln does an outstanding job of this.