What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - scotx
I'm looking to replace my 2004 Saab 9-5 2.2Tid estate with a newer car of a similar size. I don't want to lose any bootspace, and not worried about a prestige badge. The Saab has been excellent value for money, and the new model Ford Mondeo or Subaru Legacy look good propositions. Any variants of those I should avoid or any other makes to consider?

Thanks
ScotX
SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - Trilogy

I'd look at a Skoda Superb estate or maybe an Octavia Estate. You could get a good deal on the latter as it is due to be replaced with a new model.

If you are thinking of a new/newish Mondeo Estate the depreciation is likely to be heavy.

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - veryoldbear

The bog question is whether you do the miles to justify another diesel. I suppose a Saab 9-5 1.9TID might be a possible, it's quieter and slightly more powerful than the 2.2TID but I'm not sure about reliability.

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - coopshere
You don' say how much newer but if 2009 or later checkout the Toyota Avensis. If you choose 2010 model or later you will also have the residual of a 5 year manufacturers warranty.

If you go off-Saab, you'lll miss the seats and the comedy cup-holder ...

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - countryroads

I may well get shot down for this but I like them, have you considered Hyundai i40 tourer. It is very spacious and well equipped, well warrantied and pretty good to drive. Drive one before you write it off! A private buyer is likely to get a good discount from a dealership who wont make money off fleet cars too. Warranty helps of course, any SAAB now no matter how new is a dicey proposition come resale etc for the time being. Subaru is good but thirsty and not that cheap to keep. I ran an i40 1.7 Style manual for 6k miles and averaged 61mpg!

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - 72 dudes

Nobody has mentioned Volvo V70. Either a 2.0D or D5.

But if the badge doesn't matter, then Mondeo estate a good one to try. Avoid the 1.8 TDCi though.

Frankly, coming from the agricultural 2.2 TD Vauxhall engine in the 9-5, most things are going to feel nice to drive.

Agricultural maybe, but long-lasting, chain cam, and not too much fancy modern nonsense to go wrong ...

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - Happy Blue!

Hmmm I know too many people who had the top ends of their engines replaced in the 2.2 due to a chain fault.

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - Steamdrivenandy

If you're going to consider the i40 then there's the Kia Optima version that must be due shortly with a longer warranty and probably slightly less flash. Indeed if you're looking at Octavias then the Cee'd SW is almost as big, has been around in a couple of guises for quite a few years and for the last 3 years or so has had a 7 year warranty. I've had my '59 non-DPF, auto, chain cam diesel for 2 years and can't fault it.

Edited by Steamdrivenandy on 28/12/2012 at 09:22

SAAB 9-5 - Alternative to Saab 9-5 Estate - RT

If you're going to consider the i40 then there's the Kia Optima version that must be due shortly with a longer warranty and probably slightly less flash. Indeed if you're looking at Octavias then the Cee'd SW is almost as big, has been around in a couple of guises for quite a few years and for the last 3 years or so has had a 7 year warranty. I've had my '59 non-DPF, auto, chain cam diesel for 2 years and can't fault it.

The Kia 7-year warranty isn't longer for everyone - it's limited to 100,000 miles, unlike the Hyundai 5-year warranty which is unlimited mileage - and you'd have to pay two more years of expensive franchise servicing to get those final two years. In any case both these warranties have wear-tear exclusions so it's not all "roses".

Hyundai vs Kia - it's more a case of which or the two you like best - they are different, they're trying not to compete against each other but it's unclear what direction either brand is going.