What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - RichardGC

I'm looking to replace my 2002 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 sometime soon. Its been very reliable for the daily commute and I'm thinking about replacing it with a used Mk II or Mk III version of the 1.6 Zetec. Owners comments are quite variable however, poor economy, uncomfortable seats, excessive engine noise on motorways etc.

I have around 5k to spend. Should I be sticking to the Focus or looking elsewhere?

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - sandy56

My wife liked here 1.6 Focus. I thought it noisy and gutless.

Depends on how you use it and how much you drive.

If you want something robust and reliable and quiet look elsewhere.

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - jamie745

The Zetec isn't the best tbh, uncomfortable seats and a crashy ride. For £5k you can get a decent Ghia or Titanium model or look at the bigger Ford Mondeo which you can generally get cheaper than a Focus.

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - Avant

There are plenty of other cars of this size around, but the advantages of the Focus are that (a) most people find them good to drive, and (b) there are lots of them to choose from and so you'll get a newer one for your money.

If you go for a Focus, a 1.8 will be better if you do a lot of motorway driving, with little loss of economy. The alternatives that I'd look at in your postion would be the Skoda Octavia (cheaper than a Golf, same engines) and the Toyota Corolla / Auris (very likely to be reliable).

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - jamie745

The Mondeo is a better car than the Focus, you get more kit for your money. I would just think for £5k you'd want to get something you've not had before.

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - Bobbin Threadbare

I liked my Mk I Focus a lot!

Ford Focus - To Focus or Not? - Canon Fodder

1.6 petrol Focus is the runt of the litter - gutless, yet thirsty.

Avoid