2.0 20V SPORT PETROL - PASSAT 2.0 20V PETROL SPORT BAD FUEL CONSUMPTION - TheDervDoctor

Hey i own a passat 2.0 20v petrol sport 52reg i have owned this for about a year now and the fuel consumption is getting considerably worse. I used to get roughly 100 miles to £20 which is about 400 miles to a full tank which is £80 which i was quite happy with. Now i am lucky if i get 50 miles to £20 and 250 miles max to a full tank just wondering if anyone else had come across this or any one know how to fix this issue.

thanks in advance.

2.0 20V SPORT PETROL - PASSAT 2.0 20V PETROL SPORT BAD FUEL CONSUMPTION - davelebarr

Hey i own a passat 2.0 20v petrol sport 52reg i have owned this for about a year now and the fuel consumption is getting considerably worse. I used to get roughly 100 miles to £20 which is about 400 miles to a full tank which is £80 which i was quite happy with. Now i am lucky if i get 50 miles to £20 and 250 miles max to a full tank just wondering if anyone else had come across this or any one know how to fix this issue.

thanks in advance

Just got rid of my 2004 2.0 20v petrol for same reason. No figures but was spending more and more on petrol each month. Just traded it at 92000 miles got £800 against a 2009 1.6 Avensis. Fully expect to spend noticeably less on petrol it was really really killing us financially.

If your stuck with that car try a tuning shop, new air filter also a wildcard but is it leaking petrol anywhere?

cheers dave

2.0 20V SPORT PETROL - PASSAT 2.0 20V PETROL SPORT BAD FUEL CONSUMPTION - Cyd

Yeah! Lift off the right foot!!

But seriously:
# check for a fuel leak (I had a similar problem on a previous car, was the gasket round the fuel pump)
# has it been serviced? Try a full service with oil, air filter and sparks
# check you haven't got a 'dragging' brake (sliding calipers are prone to the slide pins seizing). You could get this checked at an MoT station on their brake roller if you can't judge for yourself.
# handbrake releasing ok?
# is it firing on all cylinders ok? check connections, HT leads etc
# clean the throttle body and butterfly.
# try changing the gearbox oil (or at least check the level)
# tyre pressures ok?