What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - jamie1972

Looking to buy a second car to only use 4 days a week, solely for the trip to and from work, as it's not the main family car and is just for my commute the budget is low (£1200ish hopefully)

The round trip is 80 miles (on a generally clear Motorway stretch).

Any advice on something not too small (wouldn't feel safe on the motorway everyday in a diddy little thing) that's decent on fuel (specifically taking into account that sort of run) and reasonably reliable? Thinking of an '03 Focus (mainly because there's so many of them under the £1500 mark) but have never had one, any pitfalls I should look for on them?

Or any advice on something better?

Cheers

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - John Boy

One of these might suit you, Jamie - a Nissan Micra disguised as a Jag.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=mitsuoka+viewt&hl=en...0

Cool, I'm sold.

Cheers

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - Bobbin Threadbare

Looking to buy a second car to only use 4 days a week, solely for the trip to and from work, as it's not the main family car and is just for my commute the budget is low (£1200ish hopefully)

The round trip is 80 miles (on a generally clear Motorway stretch).

Any advice on something not too small (wouldn't feel safe on the motorway everyday in a diddy little thing) that's decent on fuel (specifically taking into account that sort of run) and reasonably reliable? Thinking of an '03 Focus (mainly because there's so many of them under the £1500 mark) but have never had one, any pitfalls I should look for on them?

Or any advice on something better?

Cheers

No pitfalls - I used to do 120 mile round trip each day to work (which shrank to just under 80 miles per day after a time) in a 1.6L petrol 52 plate Focus LX, which is the bog standard one. It was great. I learnt to drive in it, and then Mr B gave it to me and bought another car. I put about 40k on it and px'd it when it hit about 97k for a larger car. Comfy. I swapped the radio out for a DAB unit too - made the drive much more fun!

I never had any problems with it. I reckon it'd be hard to find a better medium-sized car with such reasonable running costs. It had decent mpg (and yes, I probably should have had a diesel at about 2.5k miles a month!) and crucially, low insurance.

I only px'd it because I found that I was a secret petrolhead and needed more horsepower ;-)

Thanks for the feeback Bobbin.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - VEC786

I had a astra mk4 1.6 16v petrol do miss it, never had any problems, used to 60 mile trip to leeds on a regular basis, cruised all the way. very cheap to maintain and parts. the 1.7 diesel ec04 its road tax is only 35 pound ayear, very good on diesel. 2.0 diesel is good aswell.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - BenG

I had an '03 Focus 1.8TDCI and it would return 55mpg at an indicated 70mph (actual speed 66mph), and about 52mpg at an indicated 75mph (actual speed 71mph). These were brim-to-brim mileages and not some fuel computer rubbish.

Fairly highly geared so did ~2250rpm at 70mph in top. I can thoroughly recommend a Celtic Tuning remap for this engine, which improved responsiveness and mpg....

Parts are cheap as well.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - 2.0Tsi
So 21k a year for £1200

You are really taking the Michael ain't you ?

Forget your TDCI etc I am telling you there is only 1 engine that will get you through that with AS LITTLE HASSLE AS POSSIBLE and that is the VW 90/105 Tdi !

Now you have to find a FSH/low owner/lowish mileage........for you money in any of the VAG group !

I know you love your Fords, but if you go for a TDCI over the TDi I bet it will,cost you ;)
Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - SteveLee

Nonsense, for £1200 you'll be buying £1000 worth of VW badge and £200 worth of car. For that sort of money the Ford will be the better bet. Any 1.9 PD engined car at that age has proably been a taxi!

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - jamie745

For that sort of mileage - motorway and lots of it - really anything will probably be fine, as odd as it sounds. That's exactly how a car wants to run, regular mileage and running warm. Even the troublesome Mazda 6 diesel will be fine with that sort of workload, much happier than it would be with 5k a year of town driving.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - 2.0Tsi
Put your Ford goggles away noddy, the TDCI ain't a good engine, good luck for £1200. At least the VAG car will still have a 'badge' stuck on the bonnet !
Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - Trilogy

My Skoda Octavia TDI 90bhp, 1998, has had no engine related problems between 100,000 and 220,000 miles while I've owned it. Fuel consumption tends to be 55 mpg or better. Maintenance has been carried out my my local independent garage or the mobile mechanic who charges just £25/hour.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - Happy Blue!

Whose talking about a diesel? Why not a petrol? Will give 40mpg all day long at that sort of driving if the OP bought a Focus with a 1.4 or 1.6 engine.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm talking about a petrol one. Economy was pretty good and the car did as it was told; I always got the impression that the petrol Focus is the better of the two.

Ford Focus - Cheap second car (used just for a work commute) - primeradriver

Agree with the comment that absolutely anything will do the job.

We ran an old Daewoo Nubira 1.6 for 70 miles a day on the motorway for a good few years and it never gave any trouble to speak of.

Any car will munch away the miles like that without missing a beat. Just buy something based on condition. Focus isn't a bad bet (although I hated my MK2, it never went wrong), but don't confine yourself.

Agree with the comment that absolutely anything will do the job.

We ran an old Daewoo Nubira 1.6 for 70 miles a day on the motorway for a good few years and it never gave any trouble to speak of.

Any car will munch away the miles like that without missing a beat. Just buy something based on condition. Focus isn't a bad bet (although I hated my MK2, it never went wrong), but don't confine yourself.

Indeed - my b-i-l ran a Kia Rio for a few hundred thousand miles and it never gave him any trouble.