What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Lx 1.6 2007 Petrol - Clutch noise and another low noise above 55 mph - Focus57

Hi

I am new to cars, Please can any one help me with two noise related issues with my Ford Focus Lx 1.6 (Petrol 2007). I bought it as a used car with warranty in January 2012. A full service has been done in June 2012.

3 weeks ago power steering pump failed and has been replaced with cost of £400. Warranty company has agreed to pay 80% of the costs towards repair and i was lucky i only paid £80.

Now i am having these noise issues with my car. please can any one help me on how to approach these issues.

1. I can hear very small sound when the car is in idle mode and it stops when i push down the clutch. I have taken it to garage and they said that the sound is due to clutch started to wear and they said that is a common problem in cars of that age, not a major one now and will last for another 20000 miles but told me to comeback if the sound gets bigger and they have said it will be around £400 - £500 to replace the clutch.

• Is there any way of fixing of the clutch noise without replacing the full clutch system?
  • I found "clutch facings" in the exclusions list of my warranty company. what is cluthc facings? Does clutch replacement comes under the warranty?
  • can i safely ignore the sound for further 20000 miles and will it pass the MOT which is due in January 2013.

2. Second noise issue: Again this a very small sound which i can hear constantly when the speed is above 55 mph. I can't hear sound until i get to 55 mph speed. I can also hear it if am doing a constant 50 mph or 40 mph speed. the garage guy said that he can't diagnose the issue because it is very hard to track that small sound and he suggested that it might not be a major issue.

• Am i damaging any other parts with these noisy parts?

I am bit worried now because of any possible major failures due to these noises and costs for repairing?

Also recently i have experienced ford focus common problem with water in spark plug wells due to leakage from jet washers.

Please can any one help me these issues. Do i need to worry about these noises or can i safely ignore.

Thanks very much

Ford Focus Lx 1.6 2007 Petrol - Clutch noise and another low noise above 55 mph - Collos25

Surely all the repair costs should be born by the retailer you should not have a penny to pay .The sound you can hear is probably the clutch release bearing and indeed it can last for many thousands of miles on the other hand it could go at any minute and also it could be something far more serious.My advice is to take to were you bought it and ask the politely to fix it at no cost to you .

Ford Focus Lx 1.6 2007 Petrol - Clutch noise and another low noise above 55 mph - skidpan

When you have owned cars for a few more years you will find out that:

1 All cars make noises

2 All cars are money pits

3 If you carry on listening for noises you will worry yourself into an early grave

4 Bikes are far cheaper to own

With regards to clutches warranties rarely cover them and considering that you have had the car since January there is 0% chance of getting it done FOC. Carry on driving, if it fails fix it then.