Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Cluedo

Just wondering what peoples views are on a new Mercedes C Class Estate.

I am a fan of cars with good engineering pedigree but like many people was very disappointed with Mercedes during the time the accountants ran the company and the quality took a dive.

Do people think they are back building cars worthy of the 3 pointed star that are engineered properly ?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Collos25

It has just this week been reported in Germany that the e class sales are 49% down and c class are not far behind this has nothing to do with quality but people keeping their cars longer and buying much cheaper cars.In the UK they sell a c class with manual gearbox to come under the 130gmco2 a friend who works for a large UK lease company wonders who will buy these at 3 years old as Merc without a autobox is just about unsalable except at a knock down price .As a matter of interest Opel reported sales also down 49% with the Astra and Insignia sales disappearing down the plug hole Chevrolet are actively selling the equivelent cars at a marked reduction in price over Opel. Mercedes are pushing the new a class its as though their lives depended on it I am sure its not but big car sales here in Germany are disappearing fast Dacia and Lada are having a field day with sales as are other small car and low price producers Fiat 500 is the new c class here well not really but it seems so judging by the number you see.

Edited by Collos25 on 15/10/2012 at 18:36

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - 72 dudes

The current C Class is good but not a class leader. I read most of the car magazines, and all put the BMW 3 series way ahead of the C Class in all areas. The Audi A4 Avant is probably next best.

I believe Mercedes have addressed the quality problems they had 5 or 10 years ago, but the answer is to try one against the 3 series and A4 and see what you think.

Another cheaper option might be a well equipped Passat Estate, although in my opinion the interior is bland, bland, bland.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - madf

Mercedes have kept caliming for the past 3 years they have solved their diesel injection problems... and for the first two of those three years they were wrong..

That is carp engineering at its worst..

So are they back? To incompetence? Yes. To competence? Wait another 10 years before you can tell..

Where do you get your information its not fact thats for sure MB use the same injectors as many other marks and it is not a problem world wide unlike some other makes.In this weeks Autobild a head to head test it came second to the Passat which supposedly has injector faults without end but surprisingly not in mainland Europe.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - SteveLee

Is is just me or does the C class look remarkably like a Rover 75? Especially the roof line.

Its not just you.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - SteveLee

They both suffer the same (Siemens) injector faults.

Where do you get your information its not fact thats for sure MB use the same injectors as many other marks and it is not a problem world wide unlike some other makes.In this weeks Autobild a head to head test it came second to the Passat which supposedly has injector faults without end but surprisingly not in mainland Europe.

You really should keep up with the news.. It's a Mercedes press release! October 11 2012...!

"

Mercedes say that a new injector system for C Class and E Class diesels with the OM651 engine have now been fixed.

Read more: http://www.carsuk.net/mercedes-fixes-diesel-injector-problems/#ixzz29RESB3Os

Edited by madf on 16/10/2012 at 07:49

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Avant

Collos - if I remember right you live in Germany. Amid all those downturns you mention, how are VW / Audi sales in Germany? Over here the whole VAG group apart from SEAT but including Bentley are doing well.

Autobild.de page 20 Issue 41 12 october gives the monthly and year to date sales figures Number one as usual is the Golf including variants down 20.8% ,second Passat down 34.5%, Third B class up 581.7%, Fourth Bwm 1 up 73.4%, fifth C class down 28.9%,etc

Total sales for September 250,082 and this year to date 2358798 down 10.9%

When you filter out the private sales from company sales then you can see that the private consumer is bein hit very hard and example would be the Golf and variants down 40.1% and the Polo dowm 44.4% Mercedes C class down 35.8%.

Total of car sales down 11% which is quite alarming barometer of the position inside europe ,China is holding up well with a massive increase for the big three VAG,DB and BMW which is keeping the factories rolling here in Germany while Opel are having a very hard time with some talk of complete closure but the unions would want production shut in other countries first.

Edited by Collos25 on 16/10/2012 at 06:58

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - daveyjp
I expect the new A class to be as common as the A1 and 1 series by this time next year.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Sulphur Man

As a broad rule of thumb, Mercedes entered the quality doledrums in 1998 with the W210 E-Class. They exited it in 2007 with the W212 E-class. Pretty much everything launched in this window suffered from premature rust, electrical failures (especially brake assist), suspension failures and generally poor quality control. The worst being the ML-Class, arguably M-B's worst car since the second world war (yes, worse than the last A-Class)

Warranty Direct's 2012 report states that the W212 E-Class Mercedes of 2006-2009 has the lowest warranty claims against it.

The current W204 C-Class launched in 2007, and was a quantum leap ahead of its predecessor in terms of quality, although I personally think the dashboard is a bit drab and plasticky. Greatly improved in the 2011 facelift though.

I agree with the rust problem but this was the fault of importing South African made cars for the UK market instigated by DB UK not Stuttgart there were other cost cuttings made by DB but the rust problem was a UK problem and did not materalise in mainland europe proven by the number of DB 210 taxis that are still in use haveing covered over 1million kms and more.In fact its very rare to see any DB with any rust except in the UK. The ML was American sourced car and a bit of a disaster while Chrysler (Jeep) were made by Styr in Austria.

Edited by Collos25 on 16/10/2012 at 18:40

No-one cares where a car is sourced.

Customers look at the badge if they have issues with the car.

Period.

That is how it should be...

I agree totally but if you read the mail correctly I was pointing out where the blame lay not the consequences.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Sulphur Man

madf, really?

A friend bought a new VW Golf MkIV 4Motion and suffered endless issues with it in the first year, to the point where he lost all faith in the car and sold on.

The dealer freely admitted to him that the car was built in South Africa, and that VW's sourced from there between 2000-2004, especially MkIV Golf's, were not of comparable standard to European assembled equivalents.

The primary reason FIAT build quality has improved in the last decade is due to out-sourcing of assembly, away from troublesome Italian plants. FIAT chairman Sergio Marchionne would only give the new Panda build contract to the old Alfa plant in Naples on an explicit promise from the Italian government that this was "their last chance to get it right". (Amusingly, there was a vocal minority of Alfa workers at the plant who, initially, refused to build the Panda as they felt the car was not worthy enough)

Edited by Sulphur Man on 17/10/2012 at 09:23

madf, really?

Yes.

I recognise the reality is that MB quality control was rubbish.. and we all know Fiat don't have any QC worth its name BUT the customer should not need to know.

All the customer need know is that the company has a good reputation for quality, their quality control works and is fair and honourable in its dealings if and when things go wrong.

And if they go wrong outside the warranty period and it's their fault, they fix them free of charge..

The "quality control which works "bit rules out most European makers.. "fair and reasonable" bit rules out VAG and the only manufacturers who can afford to fix items out of warrnty - without customer pressure - are those who make profits and make few mistakes...(which rules out all French cars for ever)

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Ed V

The fascinating battle between the A4, 3 series and C class is good for all of us I'd think.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Dave N

"In fact its very rare to see any DB with any rust except in the UK"

Plenty of rotten DB's from that era here in Sweden. Parked next to a C class the other day, and it made my rotten Felicia look quite smart.

Wheres Sweden.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Are Mercedes Back ? - Avant

"The fascinating battle between the A4, 3 series and C class is good for all of us I'd think."

As is the one between the A3, A-class and 1-series, which features in both Autocar and Auto Express this week. Autocar, testing diesels, ranks the Mercedes just ahead of the Audi with the BMW a poor third; Autio Express, teting petrols, has them in the reverse order.

Interestingly in Autocar Steve Cropley and Andrew Frankel, two journalists whom (unlike many) I greatly respect, say they would have a Golf VII in preference to any of these three.