What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vw polo - Urgent assistance reqd, VW polo over adjusting sho - ColinMacdonald
Hi guys , I have a customers car here, I have replaced a n/s wheel cylinder so obviously throwing a set of shoes on too due to contamination,

Problem.
Fitted shoes, ran hbrake cable back, fitted drum, pressed brake to adjust and it is over adjusting (drum won't turn) line up stud hole and raise adjuster teardrop up to back off adjuster and all is well, press brake and it over adjusts again and locks up, can't be a lead/trail issue as shoes are specific fitmants to side .....any thoughts please.
Reg
colin
Vw polo - Urgent assistance reqd, VW polo over adjusting sho - 659FBE

Almost certaily incorrect assembly. When the wheel cylinder is pressurised, the wedge drops under light spring pressure to take up some clearance. However, one of the shoe return springs is arranged such that a small gap remains between the cross bar and one shoe web so that the shoes can retract slightly.

Otherwise, there is a hydraulic problem - easily checked by slackening the bleed screw. If the brakes free off, you have residual hydraulic pressure caused by incorrect master cylinder pushrod clearance or a faulty hose or seal.

Vw polo - Urgent assistance reqd, VW polo over adjusting sho - ColinMacdonald
Stripped and replaced spring kit and all is well one of top springs was significantly weaker than replacement. Not sure if I agree that was 100% to blame though.