What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 VW Passat 1.6L / 2003 Focus Estate 1.6LX - buying an estate - vw passat 1.6 vs ford focus - darraghinthewest

Hi there

Looking to buy a used estate for a family car. Our budget is less than 4000 euros.

Looking for something with relatively low mileage, reliable, good fuel economy and cheap to fix.

There isn't much available here in Dublin, and we have narrowed it down to these 2 cars - a 2003 VW passat 1.6L and a 2003 F Focus estate 1.6LX.

Both have similar mileage (less than 50k) and are similarly priced.

What would people recommend? Or any other ideas for what car to buy?

Thanks so much.

Darragh

I have added links below to the 2 cars...

cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3863220

and

www.deerparkmotors.com/stocklist.html

2003 VW Passat 1.6L / 2003 Focus Estate 1.6LX - buying an estate - vw passat 1.6 vs ford focus - IRC

A Mondeo hatchback probably has more passenger and load space than a Focus estate. Worth adding to your possibles. My Mondeo hatchback easily carries washing machine size loads in the back with the seats down or bicycles without removing wheels etc.

Obviously at that age price and condition matter as much as make and model.

A Mondeo will use a bit more petrol but the difference in cost will be small compared to other running costs.

2003 VW Passat 1.6L / 2003 Focus Estate 1.6LX - buying an estate - vw passat 1.6 vs ford focus - Bobbin Threadbare

Out of the two you've narrowed down, I say the Focus. Cheap as chips to run (I had a 52 plate LX). Passat won't be a hatch so it'll be a pain to transport things. Spacious and a reasonable ride/handling. But, if it's 9 years old, you've got to consider condition above all else, as IRC says.