What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Zetec 2002 - Fan is running when Air Con is on - NEILJONES

When I switch the air con on I can hear a fan runnng, can hear it a bit in the car but its a lot louder outside the car, its coming from the front of the engine near the front grill. I am assuming this is the fan in front of the radiator. When I switch the aircon off after about 30 seconds the engine revs decrease and the fan switches off.

So is this normal, is it a problem and if so what does it mean and do I need to do anything about it. The Air con is working fine, kicks in when its switched on, nIce and cold in the car and the air smells clean as well.

Not sure if its linked but when idling can hear a click every so often it dont happen all the time but this click only happens when the aircon is on.

Edited by NEILJONES on 22/09/2012 at 01:07

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Zetec 2002 - Fan is running when Air Con is on - elekie&a/c doctor

The clicking is the a/c pump cutting in and out, normal operation.The cooling fan running with a/c on is also perfectly ok.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Zetec 2002 - Fan is running when Air Con is on - NEILJONES

Had a Mondeo in the past and never had a clicking sound when air con was on or cooling fan running so it may be ok but surely its not normal.

The clicking has been there a long time but the fan running when the air con is on has only just started a few weeks back, it certainly was not like this before.

Do you have any expalnation why you thinks both sounds are ok and why the cooling fan all of a sudden has started to operate when the air con is working.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Zetec 2002 - Fan is running when Air Con is on - elekie&a/c doctor

I have worked with Mondeo models for the last 20 years.The cooling fan(s) will always come on with the a/c engaged .What is possible is if you have a 2 fan system,if the slow speed has been lost ,then it will work on the high speed only which can be a lot noisier.The system uses a cycling clutch compressor which I am sure is the clicking you can hear.hth