What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avensis Tourer - Feeble horn - help! - Bilboman

I've had my new company car for a month now and it is superb in every respect EXCEPT that the horn is a pathetic Japanese-style bleep, more at home in a clown's car than a fairly upmarket estate. (It's a British-built car, so what's going on? My dad's Swindon-built Honda also goes BWEEPT!) What I would like to do is transplant a (readers' recommended) decent alternative with as little fuss as possible.
Unlike radios and add-on lights, I've never found anywhere to actually "try before you buy", and I would like to make a straight swap for a horn that sounds "serious", perhaps a tad imperious, but it doesn't have to be ear-splitting to the point of shattering street lamps or inducing heart attacks. A Homer-Simpson one playing "La Cucaracha" is also out, as is anything even remotely like Mr Whippy, Big Ben or the Keystone Cops, tempting though it is!
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of a ready-to-go aftermarket one which can be swapped straight over; failing that it's a trip to the scrappie for a horn from something a little "upmarket", but, again, easy to install.

Toyota Avensis Tourer - Feeble horn - help! - unthrottled

It's a British-built car, so what's going on?

There's your answer. The British never use the horn except in extreme circumstances to indicate outrage at an example of appalling driving. Because we use the horn so infrequently, by the time you have found the location of the button on the steering wheel, the moment has passed and the gesture is already feeble. The tone of the horn merely reflects this impotence.

This is not New York.

Toyota Avensis Tourer - Feeble horn - help! - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately this is not as easy as it used to be in the old days.To make an improvement ,you will need a pair of 2 tone horns.Your next problem will be finding enough space to fit them,followed by the fact that the connections will be different and the thin wiring used on modern cars inadequate.If the existing system is not relay controlled,then this will need to be fitted.If you want to take this further,then a pair of horns from a Focus would be ideal.hth

Toyota Avensis Tourer - Feeble horn - help! - coopshere

Best answer is to moderate your driving style so that you dont need to use a horn to warn others of how impatient and inconsiderate you are. By doing so you might even be surprised to find how much more you enjoy the journey and arrive at your destination relaxed.

Toyota Avensis Tourer - Feeble horn - help! - Bilboman

(Focus horns - gotcha. Thanks!)

I was expecting a comment like this one, and my response is that I've also considered not using the brakes to save fuel and pad wear and I never drive at night if I can avoid it, to save bulb life. Similarly I stay at home during rain, fog, snow and winds of anything over 10 mph.
HOWEVER, in real life driving conditions (and it is these in which I dwell, with 20-30,000 miles of work driving per year), the three horn functions (tap, mid tone and long toot) have their uses, do they not? I never use the horn as a greeting, rebuke or expression of impatience: if it's too late to use it before x y or z happens, then it's no use using it at all, and if another driver is brain dead, Trumpet Voluntary isn't going to re-wire his neural pathways.
I seem to remember many years ago French cars like the Citroen CX having "town and country" horns (shallow press of the button for a light tone and heavier press for a more robust warning) - a good compromise, but long since abandoned like so many good ideas in the automotive world.