Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - Liamjay

Hi all,

Im having a bit of a dilemma,

Me and the better half are driving to spain next week (and back), Plus touring france for a bit, a combined mileage of 3000 miles.

We have 2 cars a brand new C3 1.4VTR+ and a 09 reg Fiesta 1.6TDCI and im wondering which one to take.......

I know that the fiesta is better on fuel but theres other things to consider.......

The fiesta is the Zetec S and sometimes the seats can be a little uncomfortable,

Also the Citroen is brand new so has a 3 year warrenty where as the fiesta does not (might be extreamly useful if we break down!

The Citroen is more spacious as well, although to me it feels like a sloppy boat to drive as im used to the harder suspension of the fiesta.

Also how much cheaper would the fiesta be to take over 3000 miles then the C3? As i know that manurfactures MPG's mean naff all!!

The only reason i think about taking the C3 is because of the warrenty and comfort (the better half is also 4 months pregnant!) If it was up to me i would use the fiesta.....

Your input is appreciated :-)

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - Bobbin Threadbare

I would take whichever one is the most comfortable and fits the luggage in better, for a journey that big. You'll want European breakdown cover too; your warranty won't cover being towed and put up in ahotel etc I shouldn't think.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - bathtub tom

Comfort every time for me, however, if I were forty years younger........................

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - austin

Diesel in much cheaper in France and Spain than unleaded and the Fiesta would be a great motorway cruiser. I would take the Fiesta with European breakdown cover. I would be wary of taking a barely run in car on such a long drive. Have a nice holiday

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - Happy Blue!

Actually, I think this a great opportunity for for a good shakedown cruise for the new car. It comes back well run in, any minor defects are noted and can be dealt with in one return visit to a Citroen dealer and brand new car is inherently likely to be more reliable than a three year old car even if one is a Ford and one is a Citroen.

It helps that Citroen dealers are on every corner in France as well.

On top of all than, comfort and space would be far more useful and a pregnant wife will want as much comfort as possible.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - BigJohnD

France is reducing the price of fuel by around 10¢ per litre, e.g. statement by Total w.e.f. 29th August 2012.

As for your choice of car, go in the more comfortable, which in my experience will be the Citroën. The Citroën will also be better received in France if you break down - the mechanics will be interested in the RHD version.

Edited by BigJohnD on 31/08/2012 at 01:34

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - Avant

I agree absolutely with Happy Blue, for the reasons he gives. The Citroen definitely - potentially greater reliability and pregnant wife's comfort are more important than a saving in fuel which may well be slight, given that you shouldn't be caning a new car, and that engine should be quite economical on a long run.

Also, bearing in mind your thread in Technical last month, you won't have to spend the holiday worrying about turbo failure.

Edited by Avant on 29/08/2012 at 01:27

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - unthrottled

Diesel is usually cheaper than petrol on the continent. This will flatter the difference in fuel economy. Over 3000 miles the difference will be considerable. With a heavy right foot, you'll get 50mpg from the Fiesta and about 40 from the Citroen. The difference is 15 gallons. With a light foot you'll get about 60 from the Fiesta and 45 from the Citroen. The difference is about 16.5 gallons. You're looking at over £100 difference in fuel cost.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - oldtoffee
I'd choose the car that was quieter and the more relaxed cruising on the motorway. A car that suffers from lots of wind noise or intrusive tyre roar will be tiring to drive and be a passenger in. This could swing it in the Citroen's favour especially if it has more space and comfort.

The Fiesta will be 20% more economical and diesel is 20% cheaper than petrol in France I'm not sure how much cheaper it is in Spain, less So I think.

Not sure I agree with your logic of a new Citroen being inherently more reliable than a 3 year old Ford.

If I was making that journey and my wife was pregnant I'd be inclined to give her the casting vote!

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - colinh

"diesel is 20% cheaper than petrol in France"

Latest AA price report: France per litre - petrol €1.59 (124p) diesel €1.49 (117p)

Spain - petrol €1.44 (113p) diesel €1.37 (107p)

Note - those prices are probably end of last month - petrol yesterday in Spain was nearer €1.50 per litre, but is now dependant on which region as local tax rates vary

Edited by colinh on 29/08/2012 at 10:34

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - tyro

Which one do you and your wife want to do the journey in? Has she given you her thoughts? Have you discussed it?

It sounds like the Fiesta would probably be the cheaper option, but if you are on holiday, it comes down to which one is going to give you a more enjoyable trip.

Edited by tyro on 29/08/2012 at 12:18

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - oldtoffee

>>>>Latest AA price report: France per litre - petrol €1.59 (124p) diesel €1.49 (117p)

That's a shock - I was in France in February and again in May and paid €1.32 at LeClerc in Boulogne where we always shop and fill up before driving to Lower Normandy where the local SuperU was also €1.32 or €1.33 as prices wary day to day sometimes. That was £1.05 a litre at €1.25 to the £1. Just checked LeClerc and it's €1.29 today. Those AA prices maybe they are premium diesel ie Total, Shell, BP or motorway service prices.

Edited by oldtoffee on 29/08/2012 at 16:31

I stand corrected - that price I found it turns out was 60 days old (why I don't know) so yes it is in the 1.40s. Definitely not the gap with petrol it was.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI or Citroen C3 1.4 VTR+ - Which Car To Drive To Spain In????? - dadbif
Diesel was €1.45 here in Spain this morning