Seat altea - Any good - tony g
Hi all ,I've just bought a seat altea 1.6 reference sport pack , sports seats ! Etc

2007 ,27000 miles , petrol ,i bought it to sell on but I know very little about them .
Has any member bought one or been involved with one ,why would you buy one instead of a scenic or c max ,

Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Tony g
Seat altea - Any good - Collos25

Very poor sellers and in petrol form considered a bit of a lemon as far as sales go unlike its sister the Leon.Whether its any good depends on how its been treated over the last five years.

Thanks collos ,
Well I collected the car today ,I would have to say that it has the hardest and noisiest ride of any car I've ever driven . Engine noise is fine ,but tyre and wind noise is unbeleivable .Any ideas why ,or how to reduce the noise.

It seems well put together and has decent spec ,the 1.6 petrol engine 105 bhp.Is adequate at best ,but it apparently returns 37 mpg on average which should be good for a car of its size .

The odd thing about the car is that it has sport seats ,factory alloys,tinted glass mp3 etc .All the trim from a reference sport ,all factory fitted .But the car is registered as a base model essence ,it appears to be a hybrid of some kind ,any ideas .

Tony g
Seat altea - Any good - balleballe

Its a reference sport

All the 'toys' of the sport in the guise of the basic reference trim level; why though, I dont have a clue

Edited by balleballe on 28/08/2012 at 01:06

Seat altea - Any good - Auristocrat

Back in 2007 they did new Reference Sports for the price of the Reference - we almost bought a new one.

Seat altea - Any good - Alanovich

Going by my ownership experience of a near-identical Toledo 1.6, you'll be darned lucky to see 30mpg unless you drive with the most feathery of right feet.

I really liked everything about my Toledo, with the expcetion of the pathetic fuel economy and associated total lack of power. I regretted buying the petrol, as I'm sure a TDi would have been brilliant. It displeased me so much, that I traded it in for a FIAT Stilo JTD in less than a year.

Seat altea - Any good - gordonbennet

''I regretted buying the petrol, as I'm sure a TDi would have been brilliant. ''

Regret ye not.

A colleague, a driver of no mean capability bought a 2.0 litre Diesel Toledo with DSG box, it absolutely drank the stuff, circa 35mpg as i recall driven very well, i recall asking about the dire economy and answers came back it was about normal.

He got shot with a very good deal from the same dealer for a smilar engined Jetta which couldn't have been more different.

Seat altea - Any good - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

I have the 1.9 TDI Altea XL, 2007 with 101 000 miles on the clock. Lovely family car, lots of space for 4 people and loads of luggage. I know it's not the quietest car, but I cannot say mine is bothering me. The suspension is perhaps stiff for some, but I enjoy the secure handling that comes with that. I've had it for 2 years and 30 000 miles and average 48mpg (I calculate every single tank I put in manually - the trip computer seems to think its 52mpg). It's got a very good safety rating and it's comfortable on 7 hour journeys. The only thing I would change is to have isofix in the middle seat. Other than that it's fantastic. Why I would not buy the other two you mention - I believe this one would give me less troubles and so far it has been good. Together with that I get a lovely mix of power & economy, space, good handling, high safety rating and mine's got all the bells and whistles for what was 2 years ago a good price.

Edited by 5cylinderdiesel on 28/08/2012 at 21:59

Hi all ,
Thankyou for the info ,I'm making some progress with sorting the car ,first the harsh noisy ride .

Unbeleivabley the guy I bought it from had the tyre pressures on every tyre at 60 psi ,the front o,side tyre was at 70 !

After I bought the car I drove home at 70 mph on a motorway for an hour and 20 minutes , it makes me cold just thinking about it .im lucky not to have had a blow out . Setting the tyres to the correct psi has had a dramatic effect on road noise ,and handling . I can even hear the loose exhaust knocking at the rear of the car on every road bump .

Now it's quite pleasant to drive but still seems underpowered ,I can't imagine how slow a 1.4 must feel if a 1.6 feels so sluggish .It really needs higher revs to move along .

I've also managed to establish the cars true identity ,the v5 lists it as a base model Essence ,but seat uk list it as a reference sport .Seat uk ,think that the dealer staff incorrectly registered the car as a base model when it was first registered .

The used car trade can be a right pain at times .

Tony g.

Edited by tony g on 29/08/2012 at 00:33