What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - g424ahe
Hi,

I have a 4 year old ford focus 1.8 zetec, I get 36 mpg and do about 15,000 miles a year.

Is it worth swapping it for a more economical diesel? I'm happy to spend upto 7k plus any part ex value. But ami better off keeping the money in the bank and living with the fuel cost?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

G424ahe
Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - balleballe

Keep it.

A similar diesel would probably get 45mpg. Do the math - You'll only save a couple of hundred a year.

Using 36mpg for the petrol @ £1.35 a litre, fuel costs for the year are £2559

Using 45mpg for the diesel@£1.40 a litre, fuel costs for the year are £2123

couple that with the potential of a turbo, clutch, DMF or DPF problem associated with modern diesels and the savings aren't great

people get too carried away with the 'potential' savings of a diesel

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - gordonbennet

No, the car you own is as usual the most economical car.

A Diesel might do 50 mpg, so at 14mpg difference (and DERV being approx 6 ppl more expensive) it will take a lot of miles to recoup the £7k...hopefully one of our numerical members will do the sums for us.

Also factor in DPF/DMF replacement costs for a modern Diesel, and if you should go for another Focus add the cost of at least one new turbo.

edit...beaten to it, and he's quick with the arithmetic..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/08/2012 at 22:14

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - jamie745

Well it's curious you hate the fuel costs but don't seem to mind the idea of taking £7,000 out of your bank. £7,000 can buy an awful lot of petrol, even at todays prices, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy another car. It just means you shouldn't buy it purely due to the fuel costs, if you want something else then get it, but don't kid yourself into thinking it makes strict financial sense.

Thanks people. Good sensible advice! Any chance someone could simply explain dmf and dpf please?

The DPF is the diesel particulate filter which is fitted only to diesels (as you might've gathered) and designed to collect the particulates (soot, in english). There's nothing particularly wrong with them, but if you use the car only for short trips, town driving or anything which stops it having a decent drive somewhere then it never 'regenerates' which essentially means the soot won't burn off and the filter gets full and breaks, resulting in big bill.

Plenty of people have had problems with them, partly in my view down to poor dealer advice because people buying town cars should not have a DPF fitted diesel and manufacturers shouldn't make diesel town cars (Like the Fiat 500 for instance) with them fitted, but they do. So long as you gave it a good 10 mile trip up a dual carraigeway once a week it'd probably be fine.

That's great thank you! What about the dual hamster wheel thingy?

unthrottled can give a better explanation than me but basically I believe a flywheel is a weight attached to the engine to 'smooth out' the power delivery to the gearbox. Modern diesels produce a lot of torque and a normal flywheel isn't strong enough so to get around this problem they fit a dual mass flywheel which is essentially two of them stuck together so therefore it has twice as much chance of going wrong.

I think that's the rough jist.

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - corax

unthrottled can give a better explanation

Try this

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - elekie&a/c doctor
DMF dual mass flywheel ,trouble!DPF diesel particulate filter,even more trouble!!
Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - unthrottled

I don't think either is as bad as forums make them out to be.

Jamies's explanation of DPF and DMF is pretty much correct. There are two parts to the DMF flywheel connected by springs. The springs allow some relative movement between the engine side and the gearbox side which smoothen out the torque spikes.

Some people think this is a Heath Robinson affair: look at a conventional clutch assembly. The torsion springs dampen out torque spikes while the friction plate and pressure plate are being slipped. The only difference is that a DMF does this job when the clutch is locked.

Won't fatigue lead to inevitable failure?

Valve springs last billions of cycles without a problem, so why should DMF springs be any different? The problems with DMF are basically due to overloading of the the DMF. If the correct DMF is chosen for the application, the DMF won't be any more of a problem than all the other spring components you've never heard of because they rarely fail. Unfortunately, some manufacturers managed to goof up DMF selection and this has smeared their reputation.

In answer to your original question: you probably won't recoup your outlay in fuel savings alone, but I often think that these questions are rhetorical. Some people prefer diesel engine characteristics, some don't.

What I would say is this: If you think a DMF is 'complicated', then look at the continuously variable valve timing and lift contraptions found in modern petrols. Both spark ignition and compression engines have become much more complex and potentially expensive than their older counterparts.

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - 1litregolfeater

People get too stressed about economy, perhaps we should listen to Jeremty Clarkson for once and buy what makes us happy.

When it no longer sets a smile neither at the till nor on the road, time to move on.

My ancient rusty Ford only does 20 mpg and is a bit of a minger, but it makes me happy to look at their faces.

But I only do a low mileage. Any more and i'd have to borrow the Corsa off the boy.

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - corax

My ancient rusty Ford only does 20 mpg and is a bit of a minger, but it makes me happy to look at their faces.

Mondeo V6?

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - skidpan

Swap the car if you want to change the car but don't swap it simply for economy, the figures never add up.

Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - barney100
Keep it, potential savings dwarfed by new car cost, my diesel just needed injectors, not a cheap job.
Ford Focus - Should I swap car for something more economical? - Roly93

Keep it if it is running well and reliable. By the time you factor in nthe inevitable losses you will make changing you will never gain any advantage.

We've had Focuses and they do returm a few more mpg with goog plugs and the correct grade of oil in them. I serviced our a couple of months ago and put in the recommended fully synth 5w-30 oil and it was immediately slightly better on juice than before with the oil the Ford dealer had filled it with.