Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - Englishbullterrier

Gonna investigate (tomorrow) why future daughter-in-laws drivers side door is becoming very very difficult to unlock

Does anyone know if it's particularly difficult to get to ?

Obviously I'll take the door card off and start from there.

Any suggestions anyone ? Kind regards.........ebt

Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - dadbif
Before you start ripping things apart, spray some E
WD40 into the lock....
Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - Englishbullterrier

I will try that, but it locks perfectly and easly, just wont unlock easily.....ebt

Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Ford locks need a regular spray of lubricant. Use the thin plastic straw that comes with the can and plugs into the nozzle....

Seems I need to rebuild lock with a Ford rebuild kit.

Any ideas how to get to it ? Took door card off and the whole assembly is encased in a black plastic box/shroud. Thanks.............ebt

Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - elekie&a/c doctor

Some have a metal sheild around the lock mechanism ,one side is part of the rear glass frame guide,the other is masticed to the door skin.This will need to be removed for access.As for the plastic shroud,just snip it away with a pair of cutters.It is an anti-tamper cover,and bin it.The lock barrel is secured to the door panel by a large c-clip type bracket.There is a special pinned tool that engages with the holes in the bracket to enable it to rotate to release the lock,but a suitable screwdriver will do the trick.With the lock out ,I would soak it in some penetrating fluid ,then work it with the key.This may free it off.Also,is there any wear in the key?as this will cause a problem on unlocking.Remember any of this type Ford key will lock the car ,but you need the correct and not too worn one to unlock.hth

Many thanks for your time HTH. It's the future daughter-in-laws car and my Son knows b***** all about cars.

When I had the card off, I did see a line of black mastic. It seems the rear of it (door slam edge) is part of the window guide and is held with a largish philips headed screw that goes through the door edge ? Do I need to remove this as ity appears that it will leave the glass unsupported ?

Key seems fine (had Fords before). It's turning far too freely to the left and not engaging any unlocking type mechanism.

I may need to rebuild it, which I will do. WIll update when I've had the car for some time to work on it.....

Cheers...........ebt

Ford Fiesta (think about 1.25l) Mk IV, "S" 1998 - Dirvers side door lock - elekie&a/c doctor

Yes,this is the guide that needs to be removed.Don't worry about the glass,the window regulator will keep it in place if it is wound fully to the top.You may need to get a putty knife behind the part that is masticed if it has not been off before.Also be carefull not to distort the metal glass guide as it is made only of flimsy steel and make sure when re-fitting this guide ,that it engages correctly with the upper window frame felt/rubber seal.hth

Great advice, many thanks. Will keep window wound up tight. I understand about ensuring, when replacing the guide, that it engages the lengthways seal etc/.

Will update when I get my hands on the car again...ebt

Don't like to leave a thread hanging.

Stil haven't got my hands on the car yet to remove the lock.

WIll update when I have......ebt