What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How old a car is too old ?? - jamie2012

i came across a Honda Civic 1.6 I-VTEC SE 5DR AUTO 2001 for £1,649 28.8mpg and a honda Civic 1.5i LS 4dr Auto Saloon 1998 for £600 that does 34.9 mpg

i just want a car to get a from a to b

my question is whats the age limit for a car because that 1998 car was an eledery persons car and only did 3600 miles so would that be good ?? or is it too old?

Edited by Avant on 23/08/2012 at 22:21

How old a car is to old ?? - Bobbin Threadbare

3600 miles?! I cannot imagine all of the things inside that car that have rusted, seized or simply disintegrated due to lack of use. It's not the age of it; unthrottled will tell you, he drives a late 90s Renault. Engines like to be used. I'd rather it had 100k or more on the clock for that age.

How old a car is to old ?? - VR6

For £600 its worth a punt. If it has a long MOT, and it lasts 12 months that's cheap motoring. I dare say the more expensive one could depreciate in 12 months the same amount as the older one.

Just be mindfull that both cars are old, and its a gamble which may or may not pay off.

How old a car is to old ?? - No FM2R II

Any idea how the 3600miles was done?

If it was a weekly 5 mile trip, its probably fine. If it was an annual 250 mile trip, it probably isn't.

If you need it as reliable transport then I would probably give it a miss. It might be fine, but it might also be plagued with bits coming unglued.

How old a car is to old ?? - jamie2012

sorry thats a typing error its should have been 36,000 miles not 3600 lol and so what your saying is i should look at how well the car has been looked after and i could still find an gd car but its a gamble ethier way, and i am in a new city so i dont know anyone here that knows anything about cars i was looking on a AA website they say they can check out a car for £125 do u think its worth it, just if it turns out to be a pile of rubbish thats £125 down the pan that i havent got

How old a car is to old ?? - balleballe

For the price you're looking at, I wouldnt use the AA inspection. Ive seen one being done - they hardly do anything anyway.

Look for rust - especially under the car (take a bright torch)

Do all the usual checks (engine, clutch, fluids)

Check the tyres for uneven wear

If its a private seller - ask how they used the car. Lots of short journeys are not good for the engine

It's always a gamble - you just need to increase your chances of getting a good'un

thanks for the reply i know 0% about cars i might look for one from a car dealer they more to buy but many offer 3-12 month warrantiy

How old a car is to old ?? - madf

Do NOT buy a car on your own if you know nothing about them. You may be lucky and find a gem and a charitable and generous second hand car dealer or private seller .. but you are more likely to win £148 million on the Lottery : for two months in a row.

Take someone knowledgeable with you.

Asa naive car virgin, you are going to be fleeced one way or another . We can offer advice but you have little chance of turning it into practise.

You need practical on the ground help. Ask your friends for the name of someone who is knowledgeable and willing to help.

Edited by madf on 23/08/2012 at 20:04

How old a car is to old ?? - No FM2R II

Spend £1000 at a dealer and you'll get a car worth £600 and the other £400 to cover his profit.

Pay the AA £125 to inspect a £600 caer and you;re spending over 20% of hte car's value.

Speak to the people who own the car. Do they seem like decent people? Why are they selling it? does that sound likely? What has gone wrong wiht the car while they;ve owned it? What work have they had done other than servicing? doe sit look well looked after?

Judge the people, not the car.

And if you feel the people are ok, punt the £600. It doesn't sound like its going to blow up tomorrow.

How old a car is to old ?? - gordonbennet

''Judge the people, not the car''

This is absolutely spot on, should be writ in stone, spend as much time appraising the seller as you do the car.

If it waddles and quacks there's a good chance its a duck.

Madf's on the money too, you really need someone who gets his hand dirty, not a wide boy, with you when checking cars over.

One tip is to look carefully at the tyres, are they in good condition and are they a reasonable quality product, people who look after their cars always look after the tyres regardless how old it is...the opposite is also true.

Did you ever go and look at that Daewoo, seemed like a bargain compared to these old car.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/08/2012 at 21:03

no because the dawoo was 18mpg so would have been to much for fuel and i think its better if i get a 1.6 engine as is its an auto

How old a car is to old ?? - bathtub tom

You are aware an auto drinks more fuel than a manual?

How old a car is to old ?? - primeradriver

Which Daewoo was that?

I had a 1.6 Nubira and it managed 35mpg fairly easily, as you'd expect from an older 1.6 petrol.

18mpg is BMW M3 territory.

How old a car is to old ?? - Engineer Andy

One point to make about older cars with very low mileage - obviously the condition of the tyres will very much depend on the type of usage, but you really need to check every part of the tyres if the owner says they do the occasional long journey (over 40 miles) then nothing for months. Never mind all the implications over the condition of the battery, mechanical parts (as has been said), etc, check for flat-spotting on the tyres if the car has been sitting in one place for a long time.

Also, cars that do lots of short journeys on local roads often have problems with tyres/tracking due to them going over roads humps very often in residential areas (especially the "cushion" type). My parents' cars have suffered from this and have gone through several tyres even though they do a relatively low mileage.

How old a car is too old ?? - 1litregolfeater

There are no rules, it's all down to condition. Engines with the best care in the world were knackered at 80,000 miles 30 years ago, now they can last forever, or be b*****ed at 20,000 due to what shall we say, changing demographics.

How old a car is too old ?? - bear807
Please bring someone knowelegeble with you, of you know nothing! Bring a torch, prepare to get dirty by inspecting the chassis, if you see any rust try to touch it, if the rust is dropping, you better avoid it. Check engine oil look out for any cracks on tire because that always happen to age unused car. Talk to the seller, ask to see if they can provide any history or receipt, study them carefully look out for mot advisory or has it even fail ( yellow and red colour sheet), if you can't get hold all of them, check it online with the newest mot sheet, you will able to trace the history of it. Honda civic is a very reliable car, I would say the engine is a gem!