Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - IRC

My current 2002 Mondeo has done the job for me. Carried kids, bikes, luggage, washing machines, sideboards etc. It is still on the original clutch and exhaust and other than the usual tyres, brake parts, etc not too much has gone wrong. Biggest repair was a fuel pump. I bought it at 3 years old.

So while it is still running and just got through it's MOT with only a tyre and a drop link needed I can't help thinking it's on borrowed time. So partly because it's got to need more repairs going forward and partly jusy because it's scruffy and I can afford to replace it without finance next year I've started thinking what next?

Budget will be 10K max, ideally a bit less. Looking at another 3 year old car to dodge the worst of the depreciation. A Mk4 Mondeo is the first candidate. Anything else I should look at?

Requirements - big boot (got to be hatchback or estate) at or near Mondeo size.

Petrol - I do about 7000 miles a year. Leaving low miles aside I'm worried about stories of expensive DMF and other repairs on newer diesels.

Traditional handbrake not electronic

Traditional key ignition

Chain cam rather than belt which I think means the 2.0 petrol Mk4?

Reliable, cheap

So thinking 2009 or newer Mk4 Mondeo - seems to avoid Mondeo steering rack issues on 2008s and earlier.

A 1.8 Avensis 2008-2009 seems to fit the bill as well though I've not looked at them to check key systems handbrakes etc.

So anything else I should be looking at?

Edited by IRC on 22/08/2012 at 14:59

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - skidpan

Had a 2002 Mondeo hatch, now got a Kia Ceed SW (estate), both are diesels thus cannot comment much about engines other than to say the 1600 petrol has 126bhp and is quite lively since it has less wieght to lug than a Mondeo, all Ceeds (with the exception of the rare 2.0 diesel) have chain cams.

The Ceed SW has virtually as much passenger space as the Mondeo and a bigger boot.

You should be able to get a 3 year old one for less than £10000, buy carefully (preferably from a Kia dealer) get one with a full service history and it will still have 4 years warranty left, more than most cars have new.

Old fashioned hand brake on all models.

Take a look preferably at the post facelift cars, (better ride, nicer interior), thats late 2009 onwards.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - Oli rag

Mazda 6 would be my choice - spacious , good looking and the petrol engined versions are very reliable.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda 6 would be my choice - spacious , good looking and the petrol engined versions are very reliable.

Definitely. Another Mondeo would also be a good choice; there's not much to choose between them actually!

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - balleballe

Mazda 6 is the way to go! :D

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - unthrottled

Chain cam rather than belt which I think means the 2.0 petrol Mk4?

Simply add on £400 or so when comparing a belt to a chain engine. You'll only have to do it once. Over £10k it's not a big deal. There are too many good belt engines to dismiss on such arbitrary criteria-since most large estates are diesel, your choices will be limited to start with.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - gordonbennet

New shape Avensis has electric handbrake (off my list too), previous model OK.

Thanks for info and suggestions so far.

As for cam belts - allowing for one change in price comparisons is a fair point. Though as someone who buys a car and keeps it for 6 or 7 years would I not need to price two belt changes? Some manufacturers suggest changes are every 4 years. So if I buy a 3 year old car I would need to change the belt twice. At 2 x £400 that's 10% of the cost of an £8000 car.

As a matter of interest given that chains have a much longer life is there any advantage of belts for the car owner? Why do so many makers choose belts rather than chain?

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - John F

As a matter of interest given that chains have a much longer life is there any advantage of belts for the car owner? Why do so many makers choose belts rather than chain?

Not necessarily. I have read about Nissans and even Mercs stretching their chains causing huge bills. If the things it drives don't fail, a belt should last the life of the engine if basically a good design. Choose well. I have had 2 passats, a 2.0 petrol up to 240,000 on original belt, the earlier GL5 only replaced at 130,000 or so when the water pump leaked. Currently A6 2.8 on 120,000, 14yrs old, and 1.6 petrol Focus 90,000, 12yrs old. Both belts look perfectly good and I have no intention of changing them. They get a squirt of ancient belt dressing every 20,000 or so...and I listen carefully for bearing failure noises. Diesels and turbos are riskier - more stressy.

I suspect the reason makers choose belts is because they are quieter, cheaper, and their dealers love changing them.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - unthrottled

Couldn't agree more John (although I'm not as brave with extended belt changes). Belts are a fundamentally good design located outside of the engine, requiring no lubrication and a very simple tensioner.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - John F

Yippee....thanks unthrottled - a convert! Prepare for onslaught of posts predicting certain disaster if cambelt change delayed 20miles or 20days beyond recommended change interval!

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - Avant

I'd say this one is between another Mondeo and a Skoda Superb (1.8 T). The current mondeo is even bigger than your 2002 model, and if both of these are bigger than you need, look at an Octavia (hatch or estate). The Superb estate has only been out for a couple of years and I don't think you'll get one within your budget.

Yes, the Skode Superb is too pricey. I'll need to get a look at an Octavia. The estate might be big enough. Is the Octavia belt cam?

A 2009 or 2010 Mondeo is still favourite I think. I don't mind it being bigger. I've no issues with tight parking spaces at home or work and at 6ft3 my seat is always as far back as it goes so I like.a car with a big boot and a big cabin so that there is still decent legroom for back seat passengers with my seat right back..

But I suppose the thing is to have more than one cadidate and look at price and condition rather than just wanting one make model over all else.

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - Falkirk Bairn

Accord Petrol - 2ltr. The 2.4 is a bit thirsty.

Well built, all well specced but not a big seller (especially in petrol) - £10K should buy a good 2nd hand car with loads of touble free miles in it

Ford Mondeo - Any other large petrol car suggestions - Bobbin Threadbare

Accord Petrol - 2ltr. The 2.4 is a bit thirsty.

Well built, all well specced but not a big seller (especially in petrol) - £10K should buy a good 2nd hand car with loads of touble free miles in it

Nice looking car too.