What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo TDCI - Turbo & EGR Valve - Stevie51
Ive just had a Turbo fitted onto my 2003 Ford Mondeo TDCi Estate 115bhp....I had the injectors refurbished about 8 weeks ago and hat was a superb job done, I was well pleased. Then the car started to blow more black smoke than normal for a car of that age and 131000 miles on the clock. I was told it was the Turbo, so bought one and had it fitted yesterday (Friday 17th August) It was out of a 2004 TDCi and the mechanic said in great condition, how long does it take for all the old crud in the system to blow out?

There's only about a 1/10 of the smoke that was evident on Thursday while going through the gears, eg 2nd to 3rd and less now from 3rd to 4th and none going into 5th. Should I do a complete oil change, air filter, oil filter, etc..and possibly get a recon EGR Valve? I've had the car over 3 years now, put anut 60K on the clock, it does my job, the bodywork is in superb condition, the mileage is approx. 600 to the tank ater my remap when I got it from 115bhp to 139bhp....interior is good I've paid for the EGR valve but the company doesn't have it in stock, so if not required I'll ate my £50 back....

Thanks in advance

Stevie
Ford Mondeo TDCI - Turbo & EGR Valve - Peter.N.

Could be that there is a largish deposit of soot in the exhaust, it will need some fairly spirited driving to remove it.

Ford Mondeo TDCI - Turbo & EGR Valve - gordonbennet

'' remap when I got it from 115bhp to 139bhp.''

Thats probably the reason for black smoke under power, fuelling was increased to gain the extra.

Ford Mondeo TDCI - Turbo & EGR Valve - Stevie51
Hi, Fuuny you should say that, I had a drive of over 200 miles to do yesterday, and as I was filling up. Spoke to the mechanic wo had replaced he Turbo last Friday. I mentioned to him that there had not been as much, if any black smoke coming from the exhaust since Friday. He also stated that the exhaust could be full of soot and might take few drives to get rid of it all, apart from changing the exhaust. Once I hit the motorway to head south towards Dublin, (keeping within European) speed limit of 74mph, I had about 95 miles non stop at 74mph, and the same coming back. Made a huge difference. I thought the same when I first got it remapped, but it has made a huge difference to the fuel consumption, it's made it better, by approx. 75-90 miles per tank, something thats fairly respectable and noticeable with the amount of miles I travel with heavy tool kits / spare parts carried, etc. in the boot.

Thanks for your replies, it's much appreciated.

Stevie