What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - exec/saloon - azreal

I am just written off my 57 407 2.0l diesel.

Car has lasted 90k, was a good motorway traveller, doing 20k a year.

Looking at max 6k. Read so much differences of opinions over Diesel vs petrol (recent which study http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/buying-and-selling/2012-07/which-confirms-hidden-costs-of-running-diesel-cars/)

Thought about 2003-2009 model toyota avansis Diesel, the 2.0l model seems to have good words spoken about it.

Don't like to look of the Mondeo.

However would love to hear other peoples opinions.

I didn't have to spend much on my 407 (couple of ball joints and discs and pads). Not bad for 4 years running

Also in terms of servicing/chaning parts, would love to hear any opions on things that need changing on higher millage cars, e.g. around 100k particulat filters etc.

THank you

any - exec/saloon - No FM2R II

>>Read so much differences of opinions over Diesel vs petrol

Three things to go withthat decision;

1) Which do you prefer to drive?

2) A diesel is an economic buy at around 19,000 miles per year, if all else is equal. (or it was when I worked it out last).

3) Don't let petrol/diesel outweigh other aspects ofhe car you're looking at; condition, equipment, bargain, model etc. etc.

any - exec/saloon - Collos25

Mercedes e class 220 cdi 2004 on

any - exec/saloon - azreal

that is a good point. and i am not bound to diesel, however i think they can be nicer to drive.

any - exec/saloon - 72 dudes

Another 407? Better to drive compared to Avensis.

Mazda 6; Lagunas are particularly cheap now but check electrics/warning lights carefully.

Last shape Honda Accord 2.2 CDTi with some miles on it?

£6k won't buy you a new shape C5 but I wouldn't recommend the earlier C5.

Maybe look for Volvo S40 or Saab 9-3?

Lots of choice really, but try and avoid models with particle filter if possible.

Dual mass flywheels can cause problems on modern diesels but some on here would disagree.

Basically get out there and try loads before you buy. Usual caveat of checking service history, contact previous owner etc.