What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia, 52 plate - Kerb damage... - argybargy

Hi all

Son kerbed his front nearside wheel at about 20mph on the way home from nights this morning. He thinks he briefly fell asleep at the wheel, so it could have been a lot worse because it's only the car that suffered. Alloy is knackered, tyre has a huge hole in it so they're gone and the space saver is on for now. Main problem is a severe scraping/ grinding noise as soon as the car starts moving. The wheel seems to run true when jacked up and turned by hand but obviously it becomes a very different situation when there's weight on it, and I haven't tried rocking it. Any ideas as to what issues I should be looking to expect to deal with? I've read on some forums that the wheel bearings usually take the brunt of kerbing at speed.

Cheers in advance.

Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia, 52 plate - Kerb damage... - Peter.N.

The main problem is likely to be a bent suspension component but if it drives OK with no pulling or wandering it should be ok. It could be that its bent the stub axle but I think it unlikely. It sounds that something is making contact when the wheel is in its normal driving position, you really need to get it on a ramp and have a good look.

Thanks, Peter. I'm going to take it to a trusted local garage tomorrow and ask them to check it out. Too big an issue for me.

Update, only because it may be useful to someone else. Replacement of bent suspension component consisting of a metal rod--no idea what it's called--and the suspension arm. Total cost 120 quid plus 30 quid for a steel wheel and tyre, and then a new alloy (about 50 quid on Ebay) when he gets paid again. He's got away lightly on this, hopefully the last occasion.

Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia, 52 plate - Kerb damage... - Peter.N.

Sounds about right, pleased you got it sorted.

Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia, 52 plate - Kerb damage... - Wurzel83

The metal rod could be the Drop Link.