What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - Skor42

Hi all,

I am viewing a car tommorow with a view to buying, but as its my first time buying a second hand used car im obviously a bit worried...we've all heard the horror stories.

If anyone can give me some basic advice on things to look out for, questions to ask seller..etc it would be greatly appreciated, particuarly from anyone with experience of 2.0l petrol 07 focus.

Thanks,

Skor42

Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - oldroverboy

Read Honest johns buyer guide, google focus 2.0l 2007 problems...

Are you buying from a ford main dealer?

whatever the warranty, if it is a "free" 3 month warranty it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Go to autotrader and compare similiar cars within a reasonable distance for you, for instance if there is one from a ford main dealer close to your price look at that one, next, the big national chains used cars, (franchised) and then the major car supermarkets. I can personally recommend Ron Skinner here in south wales, but buying local for a 5 year old car is a bit better. If your budget will stretch a bit, buy newer and smaller, my advice is always to buy as new as possible.

Finally, why a 2.0 focus?

Edited by OldRoverboy on 18/07/2012 at 08:44

Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - FP

"...why a 2.0 focus?"

Because it has a bit of poke at least. When I dumped the idea of driving a diesel I wanted a second-hand petrol that wouldn't be too dull to drive. The 05 Focus (Titanium) has proved a good choice for me. I initially worried about economy, but get 36 - 39 mpg in mixed driving, up to 45 mpg on the motorway at about 70 mph. (I always calculate brim-to-brim and do so every time I buy fuel.) Good handling, excellent brakes.

Negatives: road noise is not excessive, but could be better. Full-size spare on this model takes up too much boot space - I bought a space-saver.

I'm happy I made the right choice.

Edited by FP on 23/07/2012 at 16:20

Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - Roly93

I dont think there is a lot to look out for on the Focus other than the usual, ie accident damage, clocking and general driveability. We have had 2 the current car being an 09 plate.

The only thing I would say is go for a higher spec if you can as Ford are notorious for poor soundproofing on lower models, which is how they nget you to 'purchase-up'.

These cars do what they say on the tin end-of..

Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - drogers

Take a look at my very recent posting about my focus 2007 only 20K miles mine from new

Had engine management message on dash, lost power been into ford dealers 3 times in a week cost so far £430

They told me tonight it will likely need a new PCM and they cost £1000 + labour cos they have been working on it all today to get this far

This the second focus Ive had from new

The last one a 1.8 diesel had a fault which cost me £1952 on the first bill, the garage could never sort it out and eventually it was such a nightmare I sold it to them for the one I have now.

Personally I cannot afford to spend around a grand every time there is a problem.

Ford Focus 2007 2.0l - Buying a Ford Focus [2007] Any advice welcome! - drogers

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 31/07/2012 at 23:09