What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - Jamesey

I have posted before about clutch/DMF issues on the Focus 1.8 TDCi. I have recently bought one, 2009 with 134k. I decided that given the high mileage and a rattling sound that it would be prudent to change the clutch, DMF, slave cylinder and gearbox oil (as the car is young and in overall very good condition).

Having shelled out for the job, I was disappointed to find there's still a noticeable rattle when you stop the engine, right as it comes to a halt. Might be a bit on startup but harder to hear. I just want to check if this is normal for this model. I listened to a friend's 2.0 TDCi and couldn't hear it, but that may be a different setup?

From what I've read, it could be the auxillary drive belt tensioner, i.e. unrelated to the clutch/DMF.

There also seems to be some 'play' in the drive, so if you put your foot on and off the accelerator esp in first gear it jerks (I realise this is to be expected to an extent but I can feel quite a bit of play). It seems to be slightly worse than before I had the DMF/clutch changed. Maybe this is just normal too!

Obviously I want to go back to the garage asap if the above behaviour is not normal...

Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - RT

Just a stab in the dark - when I changed an auxilliary drive belt on an Astra, it's tensioner started rattling, refitting the old one got rid of the rattle - examination of the belt show that it's thickness varied causing the tensioner to move in/out very quickly.

Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - Jamesey
Sorry I think I should have posted this in Technical Matters so will repost now, any replies please add there not here!
Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - Avant

He has - it's now on Technical so I'll close this one.