Crossing my fingers - Pebble

OK, folks...I've driven only American cars my whole life (with the exception of one really horrible European import that put me off imports for years). However, I just took a leap of faith and bought something utterly unfamiliar: a Mercedes Benz from West Germany. What do you folks know about these, are they any good? This is way outside my comfort zone, but I'm willing to try and master the learning curve, which in this case might be bigger than usual. (I'm still trying to figure out the unusual gauges/controls and read the owners' manual) Any tips for these cars? Thanks.

Crossing my fingers - Dwight Van Driver

Tip

Never travel in it faster than your guardian angel can fly.

dvd

Edited by Dwight Van Driver on 03/06/2012 at 08:35

Crossing my fingers - Fake Elvis
West Germany? Most cars made before 1990 will need some TLC by now...
Crossing my fingers - Armitage Shanks {p}

Amber Troll Alert!

Crossing my fingers - Fake Elvis
Nah, just thought the West Germany bit was quite funny.

Not you Elvis - OP! He's bought a car and now wants to know what we think of it but without telling us what Merc it is! If it is LHD and auto all he should notice is an improvement in build quality, ride comfort and fuel consumption.

Crossing my fingers - gordonbennet

Should be on first name terms at the dealer service desk soon.

I've identified all the issues this car has and should be heading to the repair shop shortly. It's a nice looking vehicle, everything about it is just a little strange. Domestic cars don't look like this under the hood...and they put the battery in the trunk! Never seen such a thing.

Crossing my fingers - nortones2

Don't buy a VW beetle (old air-cooled version) Horrors await you if you open the trunk. Decent cars have the battery on the running board, btw.

If it is LHD and auto all he should notice is an improvement in build quality, ride comfort and fuel consumption.

Correct: LHD, automatic and a 234 cid engine.

Got the details - how can we help you?

Got the details - how can we help you?

Oh, I was just wondering if there were any notorious issues to watch out for in these cars, if they were known for any reoccurring problems here or there. This one is a model 380SL, two door coupe. I'm unfamiliar enough with European cars that once I bought this one, I thought "uh oh, what have I done here, this is new ground for me." It's a long way from my usual Crown Victoria or other land yacht, that I can tell already.

What year of manufacture is it? You aren't giving us enough infoprmation to give you a good answer!

It's a 1981. I have a fair amount of prior maintenance records that came with it; for example, the timing chain was replaced about ten years ago. I'm just curious to see if there are any folks familiar with this model who would know what potential pitfalls to look out for. It's been OK so far; made it back from Los Angeles without trouble.

It looks as though nobody here has an '81 350 SL!

Try this tinyurl.com/7fca9st