What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 Audi A4 - Audi A4 issues, should I pursue costs against deal - KevinC

I bought a 2005 Audi A4 from a deal in Feb, ie 3 months ago. I have put slightly under 1000 miles on it. It has 75k miles.

It was sold with service history and 6 months warranty, in fact the ad said just had major service.

I spent £180 on the car replacing rear brake pads and aircon pressure sensor. Also needed fluids topped up, so didn't look much like a serviced car.

There is no documentary evidence of this history and I have over the last few months attempted to get this from the dealer. The history stops a few years ago....he says I've lost it.

From having the car there has been clutch judder in the morning moving off in 1st gear, for about 10 mins and then goes OK. I assumed this was condensation, but it remained in the recent sunny weather. It has also had an oil or diesel leak since I bought it which has gradually got worse. I had been keeping an eye on this using the dipstick.

I noticed recently that the oil level is going up rather than going down so got a quick check on the car.

It seems that the tandem pump is leaking both oil and diesel. It seems to be putting oil in the diesel and diesel in the oil, and possibly putting diesel on the clutch causing the judder. The clutch may also be the dual mass flywheel on its way out.

I've been told I shouldn't drive this car, which I'd pretty much stopped anyway due the diesel smell in the cabin.

The car cost £6k and now I'm facing a significant cost outlay to make it driveable, whic I can't afford to do.

I'm assuming the warranty, if it exists (no evidence of this either) covers mechanical failure and prrobably wont cover this?

Do I have comeback, or is he going to argue that this pump replacement is normal wear and tear?

A few other minor issues with the car - the drivers door wiring loom had been replaced and the mirror isn't adjustable or heated.

If I take it to a garage to get this work done which I'm assuming will cost £500, what happens if they find other stuff wrong and its £2k rather than £500?

I know littlle about cars and may have been causing additional issues with wear to the engine as diesel isn't the best lubricant.

thanks

Kevin

2005 Audi A4 - Audi A4 issues, should I pursue costs against deal - Peter D

Your first contact should be with the dealer even if you have had the car 3 months. The Tandem pump is not a waer issue, the gasket has failed. Go and see the dealer but have a letter with you with all the faults detailed. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter, I did phone the delaer, in fact I notified him by phone that I had an oil leak after 4 weeks.

I spoke to him last Friday to say it was the tandem pump, he thought it was nonsense and it was just an oil leak.

He said bring the car round to him (an hours journey) and his mechanic would look at it.....if work needed done it would be done at my cost.

I took it elsewhere and they say at least the tandem pumnp - don't drive. Couldn't say for definiet until I book it in with them if the clutch judder in the mornings is the clutch being contaminated with diesel which seems to be running down the gearbox, or the beginning of the dual mass flywheel going.

I'm without a car so its hard to go and see this dealer, on the phone he's made it clear he's no interest in resolving this in any way that will cost him money.

Interesting that it may be the gasket and not seals, potentially the warranty, if it exists, would cover that?

thanks again

Kevin

2005 Audi A4 - Audi A4 issues, should I pursue costs against deal - skidpan

If you don't give the dealer a chance to fix the car you will probably find it difficult to claim back costs later in court should that be necessary.

What warranty did you get exactly. If my understanding is correct normally its 6 months unless otherwise stated.

Best of luck, with Arthur Daley dealers like yours you will need it.

2005 Audi A4 - Audi A4 issues, should I pursue costs against deal - Armitage Shanks {p}

Doesn't matter whether the dealer gave a warranty or not SFAIK. If something goes wrong within the first 6 months of ownership it is up to the dealer to show that the fault was NOT present when the car was sold

He said he'd fix it at my expense. So I'm going to send a recorded letter detailing the issue and giving him 7 days to tell me the plan to fix. Otherwise I'll send him the bill.

I expect he'll get emotional about his. In the meantime I've no car.

I grabbed a leaflet from his office regarding the 3rd party warranty while he counted my money. His receipt states 6 months warranty so I have that. Looking at the leaflet its against mechanical failure and mentions seals are not covered, although from above sounds like it may be the gasket.

The problem is that I have no warranty details - they were to follow when set up.

thanks

Kevin