What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Thoughts on Honda CRV's - hallington

I've got £2000 to buy a car, I'm used to at least a 1.8 car. For my money I'm struggling so far to find a Honda Civic or Toyota Avensis, but can find Honda Crv's in my price range, but I've seen the fuel consumption figures on auto trader! Anyone have any experience as to whether they really do drink fuel as I do lots of urban and long journeys on the motorway? Are they good vehicles too?

Thoughts on Honda CRV's - madf

My neighbours run a 1999 CRV with no problems: mainly short journeys. It's petrol . No doubt it drinks petrol but for the kind of mileages they do.. <5k a year - it matters not. V reliable and never breaks down. - at least not in the 4 years I have known them and it.

Thank you, good to hear another perso say they are reliable, I have to do 500 mile round trips every 2mths, so unsure because of fuel costs?

Thoughts on Honda CRV's - Jase

If you have £2k to spend and like old Hondas then you could also look at the Stream (2.0 chain cham engine is best) or a 6th gen Accord. You'll get potentially lots of change out of £2k for the latter and maybe for the former. If you really want to enjoy your motoring consider a '98-02 Accord Coupe (the USA one). These cost pittance now and are fab. I have the 3.0V6 version, which I adore and is like a mini Rolls Royce. There is also a 2.0 manual version if fuel costs concern you. To be honest one big repair bill is likely to negate any fuel savings at this level, so consider buying best example of available Hondas rather than focussing on a Civic.

Thanks, I think you're right, just get a car with a good service history in good condition. Just looked at ones like your car, but ouch the insurance is group 15-17+ But yes I do like driving the bigger, faster cars and so I need to test drive a crv to see if it feels too slow.

Thoughts on Honda CRV's - Happy Blue!

CRVs are great, especially the first generation ones. However the autos drink like fish. Around town you will get no better than 20mpg.