What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - clarrieblue

Is 4 wheel alignment necessary on a Focus 2009? The alignment readings were :

Left front 0 deg 30' camber; 3 34' caster; 0.3mm toe.

Right front 0 deg 35' camber; 3 22' caster; 0.2mm toe.

Left rear 1 deg 48' camber; 2.00mm toe.

Right rear -1 deg 52' camber; 1.9mm toe.

What effect would readings like these have on car handling and tyre wear?

Would realignment be worthwhile?

Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - Peter.N.

I may be wrong but I don't think that you can adjust the camber and castor angles and the tow in sounds about right. If it drives OK and isn't wearing the tyres unevenly I wouldn't worry about it.

Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - bathtub tom

You can alter the camber and castor if you hit something hard enough (kerb, pothole).

It's getting them back in tolerance that's the problem.

Oh yes, but not by 'proper' adjustment. They don't sound far enough out to cause any problems, in fact I doubt that many cars are spot on when new.

Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - clarrieblue

Thanks for your replies. Have I been ripped off by the garage claiming full adjustment was needed to the wheel alignment I wonder?

Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - Peter D

I am surprised that the toe is in mm not minutes. And is it marked as toe in or toe out. The rear looks a bit imbalanced. Regards Peter

I can't honestly see how you can have more toe in on one wheel than on the other, surely it all depends on the position of the steering wheel.

As this was a 4 wheel alignment the figures are reported independantly of other wheels but the steering wheel dead ahead. The toe worries me as if they are both toe in then that is 5mm at the rim which is a huge amount. I think those are minutes not MM. Regards Peter

I mis-read the mm figures, they are 0.3 and 0.2mm not 3 and 2 mm. Still odd that they are not in minutes. Regards Peter

Ford Focus Estate - Any Wheel Alignment / Tracking Experts Please? - jc2

There is very little that can be adjusted-other than toe-on a Focus of this age-it should only need four wheel alignment checking if it has suffered serious accident damage.

Many thanks again for your posts. The readings, in either degrees/minutes or alternatively in millimetres are recorded in my original posting exactly as on the report I was given by the garage.

My car has never had accident damage. There was no significant sign of uneven tyre wear or steering problems.

I specifically asked to be informed by phone if they thought alignment adjustment was needed. They failed to inform me but just went ahead, apparently did the work, then charged me for it. I feel I've been ripped off.