What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Fridge03

Hi all,

Some advice would be great appreciated!

Im looking at buying a new used car (if that makes sense!), my last car went bang. I have roughly 5K to spend.

I've narrowed it down to 2 options. An 05 Focus LX 1.6 or an 2001 Mini One.

The (05) focus has 50k on the clock, full service history, 2 owners 6 months warranty, year MoT from local reputable dealer and is up for £4600.

The (01) Mini has 44K on the clock, a lot of service history, 4 owners, 12 months warranty, year MOT from a Honda Main Dealer and is up for £4000.

Insurance for me is £50 cheaper for the mini and carrying passengers isn't really a concern as I do it very rarely. Its mainly just me. I really can't choose, between the 2. The focus is what my head is telling me but my heart is where the mini is as I love the drive and feel. Both have Air con and CD players, and very tidy examples.

I guess the one thing as well going in the mini's favour is the fact I can take the £500 quid and put it in a savings account for any rainy days! I wouldn't normally consider a 10 year old car but the milage is so low (and genuine).

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - MikeTorque

The Mini has a hard ride which becomes tiring after a while, the Focus is the better car overall.

However, forget the 2005 Focus you mentioned, it's way over priced.
With £5k to spend you should be able to get an excellent condition 08 reg. 1.6 LX 5 door with only 40k on the clock, and the 08 reg. version is the upgraded version of the Focus mk2 and it's noticably more refined as a result.

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Fridge03

Thanks for the timely response. I made a mistake my budget is a bit less the 5K, More 4700.

After looking, Im struggling to find a focus (within 50 miles) which is younger than 06/07 and has decent mileage. I am buying from dealers so I know that Im paying extra for that. Most of them tend to have 70+k on the clock or are a 1.8 or 2.0 which Im not looking for.

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Avant

The Mini is 11 years old and although they hold their value this price seems excessive.

If you only need a Mini-sized car, why not look for a Fiesta? Lots to choose from, good to drive and cheaper to buy and run than a Focus of the same age.

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - BenG
Focus is
2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - BenG
Focus is better value, or would be if you find a more sensibly-priced example. Best to find the VCT version of the 1.6 petrol if possible, with 115hp vs. 100 for the basic 1.6.

A used Focus won't be worth much when you sell it, so don't pay over the odds for one.

The Mini seems excessively expensive for what it is - a cramped, hopelessly impractical car for fashion victims. Not like it drives much better than the Focus either....
2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - madf

If you search on Autotrader for cars between £4,000 and £5,000 up to 3 years old, you can do FAR better.

Basically teh question being asked is: which overpriced old car should I buy to lose maximum ££s when I come to sell it - as you will.

Buy newer and better...

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Collos25

Old minis are a bit of a problem car not very economical in real life, plenty to go wrong the suspension and steering are made from tin and you will be forever re tracking the car,no spare wheel and no room for one, horrible to drive over any distance whereas the Focus has none of these problems. A mk2 mini late 56 on is a far better vehicle much more economical better built but still no spare tyre and not a patch on the Focus but you also have to realise they are a different class of car horses for courses.

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - john farrar
That's strange, my wife's 55 plate mini, owned from new, has a spare wheel(an option), has had no problems with steering or suspension, does 40mpg and has a reasonable ride on std wheels(although I have driven a couple on larger wheels and the ride is far too hard).

Maybe you've been unlucky?
2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Collos25

The OP is looking at a 51 plate.

2001 Mini One 2005 Ford Focus - Used car purchase Mini V Focus - Tonto1

My wife and eldest daughter both drive Mini's (1.6 Cooper 09 and 60 Reg). They are cars bought (as the original poster hints) with the heart rather than on cold logic, but that does not mean they are totally impractical. My daughter clocks up 300 mainly motorway miles a week in hers and averages 45MPG. My wife's mileage is entirely around town (London suburbs) but even she gets 38/39mpg. If you tend to only have 2 of you in the car, space is not an issue - the front seats have as much room as e.g. a Honda Jazz or Fiesta. The rears seats flip down very easily to create more loadspace if you need it. Ride is not an issue at all, provided you stick to 15 or 16inch rims on non-runflats.

Having said all the above, I would not buy a 2001 Mini - at least not for that money. You really ought to be able to get something much newer for £4700. As is alwas mentioned on here - best to go by age rather than mileage. Oh - and just to demonstrate the 'marmite' nature of Mini's, my other daughter hates them and wants to get a Fiesta or Mazda 2!