What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Golf V - auction prices - ford focus lpg

Hi,

I'm planning on going to some bca/manheim and any other auctions recommended to me, with the aim of eventually purchasing a VW golf mk5 1.9 tdi. This seems to be the best combination of economy, reliability, insurance and style for a 19 year old (myself).

I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what these are going for as i can not access historical pricing data, not being a trade customer. It would be around 80,000-100,000 miles (maybe a little more) and probably 04-07ish, maybe of se or even match spec.

many thanks,

harry

Edited by ford focus lpg on 08/05/2012 at 18:21

Volkswagen Golf V - auction prices - unthrottled

Not attractive for the private buyer. Ebay is a much better bet. Or indeed a private sale.

Volkswagen Golf V - auction prices - pd

Difficult to say with that wide criteria but a quick look at BCA's data shows manuals ones going for about CAP Clean and DSG ones slightly under (probably because most traders are working on the basis that they're broken).

Manheim, for example, shows 5 1.9 TDI SE's on 06-plates with an average of 76k fetching an average of £4710 versus an average CAP price of £4890.

Without some sort of decent price guidance which everyone else will have and you won't you'll never know if you've paid over the top or not.

Remember to add on buyers fees, registration doc fees etc. and allow something to fix any minor (or major) faults it may have.

Volkswagen Golf V - auction prices - ford focus lpg

Thank you very much for looking that up. I may not have decent price guidance but if i go armed with the knowledge of what i can get the cars for on autotrader / ebay, then i know i won't be paying more than i would have.

I undestand the risk of buying cars at auction but the trade prices are too attractive to ignore! Although the prices you quote seem very similar to autotrader.

Many thanks for your advice.