What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Car accident claim involving foreign HGV - Confuzzled

I recently had a car accident on the M25 motorway where a foreign HGV driver pulled into the back of my ford fiesta, as the HGV was moving from the slow lane into the middle lane without indication or looking.

The impact and subsequent second hit (as my car spun sideways and he hit into the side of my car), caused my small 1ltr car to be written off and I had to be stretchered to hospital due to injuries. Because I was taken from the scene by ambulence I wasnt able to try and get witnesses or take pictures.

My lawyers are currently handling the case for me, as I was only insured TPFT and the foreign driver is denying liability and has lied and said I "paniced when I saw the HGV indicating to move into the middle lane" so I swerved in front of him into the slow lane and he then hit me in the rear.

I was pretty shocked to read that, but unsurprised to see him trying to dodge liability - he hadnt even told his insurers until their UK agent hassled them into finding out what happened.

I'm now worried that they'll end up trying to make it a 50/50 split (as my lawyers didnt try and ask for the cctv footage until it was too late and the 30 day tape had been wiped) and wondered if anyone knows what I could do if this happened? - would it be a case of trying to take it to court?

I'm not sure how it works when it's a foreign lorry driver involved...all I know is that I'm very reluctant to accept any fault when I was minding my own business in the middle lane ahead of his vehicle.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Ford Fiesta - Car accident claim involving foreign HGV - Cris_on_the_gas

Sounds like its going to be your word against his.

As you were injured the Police must have been on the scene and there would have been a Police report, which you or your lawyer should be able to get a copy of. chances are he was intrerviewed at the scene and plod would have made a note of the damage.

Maybe too late as you have now learned the hard way. You should never drive along side or in the blind spots of large vehicles. easy to spot a left hooker, see the downward facing mirror on the right hand side of the cab. Done the IAM stuff and this is one of the many things they teach you. I always plan never to be along side any vehicle for any length of time, drop back and wait for a safe gap to pass safely, remembering the 2 second rule for following vehicles.

good luck

Ford Fiesta - Car accident claim involving foreign HGV - Confuzzled

Ok, well I have nothing to lose by taking it as far as I can then.

I was already ahead of this vehicle, but all traffic was slowed down due to speed restrictions as it had been raining - he pulled into the middle lane without indicating or looking.

When the outer lane is wall to wall HGV lorries, of course you're going to move into the middle/inner lane rather than sit behind them all - most people wouldn't pull out without indication, especially when they're driving a huge left-hand drive vehicle.

But as you say...it'll be my word against his unfortunately :(

Edited by Confuzzled on 03/05/2012 at 18:53