What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - iFocus

Hi All,

I am in abit of a dilemma. I currently own a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi with 112k on it on an 05 Plate. The Octavia is now starting to cost me money with things like the air con compressor failing, airbag lights coming on and other general wear and tear. I suppose its getting to that age now.

I have now spotted a Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X with 55k on it, and I am wondering if its worth buying. Its up for £6000 and in mint condition with a full service history. Its one of the run out Mondeo III models and possibly an ex-rental car. Registered Jan 07 and sold on in July 07.

They're offering me £2000 on my Octavia, even though its in above average condition, but I agree the mileage is high. I did pay £5000 for the Octavia 18 months ago with 90k on it too. (possibly overpaid for it in the first place)

So question is do people think this is a good deal or a bad deal? Would you do the deal? Really cannot decide myself with loosing alot of money on the Octavia, I don't really want to do the same on the Mondeo.

Cheers

Craig

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - unthrottled

05 is not old. The fundamental question is "faults aside, do you like running the octavia?"

If yes, then fix the faults

If no, change it.

But trying to reduce overall car running costs by buying another car is akin to a gambler chasing losses. The cost to change is £4K and most of your running costs will be higher with the Mondeo.

I like the Octy but I'm bored of it and its an estate and I really don't need an estate anymore. I'm only 28 and it looks like I'm driving my dads car!

You've just answered your own question! If you don't need an estate, what do you see in the Mondeo? They're very big cars, bordering on cumbersome in town, and not great on fuel if you like to put the hammer down...

Its more the mileage rather than the age too. I do 18k a year and in 4 years I'll be touching 200k in the Octavia and it'll be worthless. The Mondeo will be touching around 100k, and still hopefully be worth abit of money.

And I consider the Mondeo not an estate as its just a hatch, I've always driven big cars so I can't do 'small' cars.

I do 18k a year and in 4 years I'll be touching 200k in the Octavia and it'll be worthless. The Mondeo will be touching around 100k, and still hopefully be worth abit of money.

Common misconception. Depreciation follows exponential deay, if you start from a higher value you lose more money. The Octy is hardly small, but it'll be better on fuel than the Mondy.

The reason I bring this up is that I've got friends with Octies (plural of Octy) and one with the Mondeo Titanium estate. The Mondy turns in 44 mpg (used almost entirely on motorways). He says parking is a real pain. The Octy is a couple of inches narrower and a couple of hundred pounds lighter. It just seems to make a surprising difference in the car's manoeurvreability (sp?) and nippiness.

The Mondeo is great for what it is-a family load hauler, but it's not the best drivers' car on UK roads.

But the Octy has 'lost' me 3k in 18 months, and I've done 21,000 in it bringing it from 91k to 112k. Going by that in 4 years and 11 years old it will be worth around £800?

Won't the Mondeo at 9 years old and 100k-ish be worth double that? Possibly even more?

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - iainbo

Your figures.

Octavia - costs you £5k and then worth £800 after 4 years, cost to you £4200.

Octavia, then trade in for Mondeo costs you £5k for Octavia + £4k for mondeo, worth £1600 after 4 years - cost to you £7400.

mmmmmm! - know what i'd stick with.

Its not as easy as that though is it? I can't for see in to future but the Octavia is possibly going to cost alot to keep on the road nearing 200k vs the Mondeo nearly 100k??

Hmmmmm.

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - Bobbin Threadbare

Its not as easy as that though is it? I can't for see in to future but the Octavia is possibly going to cost alot to keep on the road nearing 200k vs the Mondeo nearly 100k??

Hmmmmm.

OP - I'm in about the same position as you. I have a large 2005 car with almost 104k on the clock which is worth about £1800 if that. I could drive it for ever, because it's that sort of car. However, I don't need a car that big (there's only me in it) but I will be doing large motorway mileage for the forseeable future. I now can't go back to a small car either; I had a Focus before and it's now too small to me. What do I get?!

Something nutty like a MX-5 :-))

I now can't go back to a small car either; I had a Focus before and it's now too small to me.

The Focus isn't small at all! At some point you have to get off the car size climbing ladder, otherwise you end up with something awful like a Crossover what-the-hell-am-I carbuncle like a BMW X6, Audi Q7, Honda CRV etc.

My friend with the mondeo is downsizing because it is just too cumbersome. The Focus gives you all the driving space you can use and is punchier and more nimble. Saloons have a huge footprint but verey little useful space. No rear wiper and you don't know where the back end of the car is! Estate, hatch or dedicated 2 seater are the only sensible layouts.

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - Bobbin Threadbare

I now can't go back to a small car either; I had a Focus before and it's now too small to me.

The Focus isn't small at all! At some point you have to get off the car size climbing ladder, otherwise you end up with something awful like a Crossover what-the-hell-am-I carbuncle like a BMW X6, Audi Q7, Honda CRV etc.

My friend with the mondeo is downsizing because it is just too cumbersome. The Focus gives you all the driving space you can use and is punchier and more nimble. Saloons have a huge footprint but verey little useful space. No rear wiper and you don't know where the back end of the car is! Estate, hatch or dedicated 2 seater are the only sensible layouts.

Hence the MX-5 selection. Small. My car is a hatch, it just looks like a saloon. I couldn't have a cross-over and anyway, I know you like the Porsche Cayenne....

I know you like the Porsche Cayenne....

Oh, you remembered that! I Can't explain it, I hate the genre, but too me the cayenne just looks right! But then I like liver and onions...

Sorry, it won't let me edit my post! The of plural of octy being Octies was meant as a joke but it doesn't come accross that way in print! The upshot of the post is to be sure of what you're looking for in a new car-and not just a new car for its own sake. Both the Mondeo and Octavia are good cars in their own respective ways.

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - Avant

What's coming through here is that you'd really like to change your car. Fine - most car-buying decisions involve the heart as well as the head (unless you're buying a Vauxhall, in which case neither features much).

You set us and yourself a tough problem in that you don't want to look as if you're driving Dad's car, yet you don't want a small car. I suggest you look for a Focus or a Golf, or perhaps a Kia Ceed - none of which I'd call small.

Ford Mondeo - 05 Octavia to 56(07) Mondeo - ChannelZ

Mondeos aren't cheap to run, if mine's anything to go by. In 2 years/20k mine's cost me £1300 in repairs. Clutch, suspension parts, electrical gremlins, brakes.

Fix the Octavia, it'll be good for another 100k.