Ford Galaxy - CV crunching on cornering - Sailor
MK 1 T reg.
I'm getting a crunching or clicking with knocking on I think my right CV joint(s). I assume outer as that's dependent on steering.
I' very surprised this has developed quickly over a few days of careful driving, now trying to coast around all corners!
I'm intending to replace it, and from Heynes it appears straightforward, however can it suddenly fail catastrophically or do further damage? I have had CV joints go in other cars and they usually last for months and only knock on a hard lock.
Does the Galaxy have different bearings in them that Gould be breaking up?
Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
Ford Galaxy - CV crunching on cornering - Peter.N.

Its unlikely that it will fail suddenly and it can't do much damage other than to itself. I have driven them thousands of miles with little deterioration but on other cars I have had them degrade quite quickly, try not to use full lock if possible, thats what puts the greatest stress on them.

Ford Galaxy - CV crunching on cornering - MikeTorque

It could be a Track Rod End that's gone dry and is stiff, easy to check by jacking up and hand pulling/turning the road wheel to reproduce the issue, the noise should be obvious and aid location of the issue.

A worn or damaged CV joint pops or clicks when turning so it could be that as you said. To check this put the car in reverse, turning the steering wheel to one side and drive the vehicle slowly backwards in a circle (choose a safe place to do this). If the noise gets louder the car will most likely need a new joint or replacement shaft assembly.

Edited by MikeTorque on 23/04/2012 at 23:30

Ty Mike I will check this, but I think its the CV joint.

Ford Galaxy - CV crunching on cornering - TeeCee

LIke the man said, take it to a car park and run it round in both directions on full lock. A regular clacking sound from one side while doing this is diagnostic.

Well I boiught a new CV joint, very pleased that the dealer said categorically that there was only one specified for these Galaxies, eventually managed to get the old one off, after several tight bolts etc in the pouring rain, and just now after filling the new one with grease.... failed to get it on! I measured the diameter... and it seemed to be OK... failed after thumping a bit harder... and this is without removing the driveshaft so I'm a bit worried about what else I'm thumping on...
So on counting the splines.. the new CV joint has 27, and the old 35 I think.. Damn... should have checked this before doing anything with the new one.

So I had a replacement gearbox 2 years ago, I don't know if it came out of a Galaxy, and Alhambra, or Scoriccio... or anything else. I know the garage had (CAUSED?) one split gater and I made them swap a driveshaft as a result.. I thought that was to replace my original rather that taking the one with the gearbox... I'll never know.

Does anyone know the answer to this... which car has 35 splines ... I wil double check this number... (driveshaft to outer CV)

Also the old CV is full of grease, but there's no obvious play, and no sign of a broken ball or pieces of cage fallen off, so why its making such a noise I don't know. I'm going to wash it out fully and see whats exposed.

I did drive it on the lock and get someone else to listen for where it come s from. It definately is almost silent straight ahead, but CRUNCHES and CRACKS on the lock. When driving round corners gently it CLICKs loudly, and crunches a bit, with only a little of the knocking thats charatreistic of other cars I've ecperience CV problems with.

Perhaps its the other side! That would be a laugh, but turning right is worse and thats when the r CV is more exercised!!!

TY in advance.... Raf

Edited by Sailor on 29/04/2012 at 15:00

It's actually 36 splines on the old one that came off the car and fits the drive shaft.

I've washed out the old one, and it does seem worn to me. It's fairly loose in some places and tight in others, and there's definately some play, but no obvious damage, or pieces of metal etc, or grit, although the balls are slightly and finely pitted.

I don't mind buying and replacing the whole drive shaft if I can be certain that will fit the gearbox and hub. ...

Edited by Sailor on 29/04/2012 at 18:15

Lots of news. No solution. On janking the car higher, I rotated the LEFT wheel, and found it was restricted, and using the left road wheel to force the steering to turn there was also restriction and noise... So I dropped the wishbone and pulled the CV joint from the hub... And very obviously this CV joint is in a terrible state. Something is broken and catching frequently.

So I should have done a more thorough check first.. I was convinced the noise was from the driver's side!!!

Also the LEFT inner but is torn which I hadn't seen (noor had the MOT a couple no 4 months ago). So it looks as if I'll be replacing either all or part of that.

Back to the right. I got the whole driveshaft out, but it has 26 splines that go into the gearbox... Which none of the ones ont the web do - at least not on the right. Noor does it look quite like any of the pictures, as the inner part of the driveshat looks much longer.

I will probably finish cleaninng the slightly worn CV joint, and put it back with fresh greese and gaiter, but I'd like to know which part it is so I can get it if/when it deteriorates further! Also is this how its bought, or is it split at the straight joint immediately outboard of the intermediate bearing wheretheres a bit of length play? If it does come apart here the length would be about 550 or maybe 555mm ... a number I have herd quoted!!!

So does anyone know this driveshaft: Gearbox/ final drive splines =26. Splines to outer CV joint = 36 , total compressed length= 885mm , length from inner end to intermediate bearing mounting surface= 290mm , And it needs an ABS ring. (hub splines = 38)

Edited by Sailor on 01/05/2012 at 01:14