What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - mmarsh

Just bought a new Honda JAZZ for 14500 EUROS.

I have about 20000 in cash so I can pay cash if I choose. However if I did this it would eat about 75% of my entire savings, and I also have a mortgage and a new baby on the way. So I do have other expenses that might be lurking (home repairs, things for baby etc)...

I am unsure what to do...Do you have any Advice?

Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - jamie745

Buy a cheaper car - have lots of savings left :)

Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - Auristocrat

Why not put a proportion of cash to the car purchase, and find the remainder through a personal loan. You can use comparison sites to get a loan with a low APR. This way the finance isn't tied to the car. Obviously only you can decide on the proportion you can afford to fund through the personal loan, and the proportion you can pay in cash.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough...

I don't plan to finance the entire car. I was going to put 10K and my wife another 2K.

Thats 12K total. Its the remaining 4K I am debating.

So the financing would only be small if I did it that way.

The dealership is offering a 4.9% loan rate but I cant help but wonder if I can get better than that (probably). Ill be checking the banks tomorrow.

Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - Graham567

I don't plan to finance the entire car. I was going to put 10K and my wife another 2K.

Thats 12K total. Its the remaining 4K I am debating.

Just bought a new Honda JAZZ for 14500 EUROS.

Somebodies maths doesn't add up.

Not my day today...

Its a typo

Should read:

16500 EUROS. The Car Price

12500 Cash (Wife plus me)

4000 left to pay (cash or credit, cannot decide).

Edited by mmarsh on 16/04/2012 at 21:43

Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - daveyjp

Whichever way you do it there's a debt to repay, whether that be to pay a loan from a third party or a 'loan' from your own savings account. I doubt your savings are paying enough interest to repay interest on a 3rd party loan so using your savings is the cheaper option.

Find out what a third party loan would cost you in repayments, repay this amount to your savings account. If things get desperate and you need money you can always sell the car.

Buying a car: Cash vs Financing - Leif

You could increase your mortgage, but that would require an arrangement fee, could be £500 say, plus the interest. You could take out a personal load with your bank, you often get good terms if you are a long term customer. Some credit cards do 6 months with no charge deals, which could be worth using, just make sure you pay before the free period lapses, or you'll be stuffed. Or if you have some investments, you might want to realise them.

I recently was in a similar predicament. I contacted Nationwide about a personal loan, but it was so complex I gave up. I decided to live on the edge, using cash to pay the bill, and sell stock market investments if need be. I worked out that the loss in future growth from selling investments would be no more than the charge from Nationwide for a loan, and probably much less. With luck I will not need to sell any, but they are their in case the wolf arrives at the door.