What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 54 2.0 TDCI - Mondeo Battery RC? AH? Help!! - rathertallguy

Have had some problems with my battery draining recently on my 54 plate 2.0 TDCI Mondeo. Following recommendation from the Green Flag man to replace the battery as it is the original battery, I ordered a new one online by simply entering the registration plate of my car.

It arrived today and after fitting it i noticed that the RC and Ah numbers do not match on the original and new batteries. On the old (original battery) its 125 RC and 70Ah and on the new battery RC 135 and Ah75.

Do these numbers need to match up?

Are there recommended ratings for the reserve capacity and Amp / hours which shouldn't be exceeded?

Please help.

Ford Mondeo 54 2.0 TDCI - Mondeo Battery RC? AH? Help!! - focussed

The RC (reserve capacity) figure is supposed to be chosen by the manufacturer to protect the starter motor in the event of a non-starting engine. IE-it will go flat before the starter motor burnsout / catches fire if the driver just keeps cranking the engine.

Ford Mondeo 54 2.0 TDCI - Mondeo Battery RC? AH? Help!! - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Congratulations, sir, on finding, for the same physical size, a battery with a slightly better rating than the original! No limit.. More reserve capacity, more amp hours, the better. Go for it if you have to fit a new one! However... have you got a battery which will work with Ford's 'Smartcharge' system? The answer to that will be 'Yes' because you put in your car's registration! Ordering new bits is so easy these days!