What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Advice for next car please... - Teapot42

I'm looking to replace my trusty old Yaris with something slightly larger. There isn't actually anything wrong with the Yaris despite being 12 years old but I need more space as I travel about a dozen times a year to model railway shows and just don't have the space to carry all my stuff any more.

I don't want anything significantly bigger as parking is a problem where I live. While I'm happy with the power/weight ratio from the old 1.0 engine something slightly better wouldn't go amiss. I certainly wouldn't want to step down in power.

I enjoy driving so I want something that will be fun as well - I love how chuckable the Yaris is - so nothing too staid and boring please!

Budget is around £5-6k and I'm hoping for nothing more than about 4 years old so I'm likely to get 8 years or so out of it.

I've considered the Honda Jazz, latest Fiesta, Skoda Fabia, Mitsubishi Colt and Nissan Note.

My gut feeling is that the Jazz will be the best bet but the new model may be out of my price range. I'm not sure how much difference there is between the versions but the new one seems much better space-wise and I gather is a better drive.

I drove a Fiesta hire car in Spain a year back and quite liked it, aside from the odd mirrors. However, price may again be an issue and I get the impression the smaller Ford engines aren't the most efficient.

I had a Colt as a courtesy car a good few years back and quite liked it but I think the design is a bit old now. Same for the Note, in need or a revamp I think and the 1.4 engine seems big and thirsty.

Not sure on the Fabia, looks a decent option but I've read a few bad things about them reliability-wise.

Any comments or suggestions for other things to consider would be appreciated.

I would have looked at the newer Yarii but I believe the Mk2 isn't a lot bigger inside than the Mk1 and the Mk3 is too new to be cheap. Not sure how the Auris compares, any thoughts?

The main use will be a 3 mile commute through town so it needs to be practical in that respect as well.

TIA!

Advice for next car please... - Avant

In your position I'd go for the Jazz, Note or Fabia, and perhaps look for the Fabia estate. All of these are better than the others for carrying your train sets about withoit being too bog on the outside.

The Jazz is particularly versatile and the back seats fold down in a single movement - a real benefit. Go for the 1.4 (1339 cc actually) and even if you can only run to the old model, it should give you years of reliable service.

Advice for next car please... - 1litregolfeater

While no car expert, I suspect you may find it difficult to find such a well made car as the Yaris, for the same price.

They were always very good cars, but very ugly.

Wear a mask and keep it for 10 more years.

Advice for next car please... - Oli rag

What about a mazda 2 1.3? A bit bigger than your yaris and just as reliable.

Advice for next car please... - paulvm

Agree about theJazz option. My son bought a 55 plate for just over £5k, and it is the revised model. He is really pleased with it and finds it flexible and cheap to run. It just does everything that one could want, and does it well. Very comfortable and bigger inside than one imagines.

Advice for next car please... - corax

I would have looked at the newer Yarii but I believe the Mk2 isn't a lot bigger inside than the Mk1 and the Mk3 is too new to be cheap. Not sure how the Auris compares, any thoughts?

Have you looked at the later Yaris stats? The boot is 270 litres compared to say, a Fabia with 260 litres. Significantly bigger than the old Yaris, and the rear seats fold completely flat. I would have a look at one if you like them, it would be difficult to find an equivalent quality supermini that is so well made.

I must admit I've not looked at the Mk 2 Yaris for a number of reasons. For some reason it has never caught my imagination the same way the Mk 1 did. I gather the 1.0 isn't the same engine, it is the 3 cyl version which I don't fancy as much. The old 1.3 never seemed as good an engine and while the new 1.33 looks great, especially coupled with the 6 speed box, they are more expensive and higher insurance. Also, the trim levels when the Mk2 came out seemed odd to me - the T2 and T3 looked fairly poorly specified. I don't know if this changed over time, once I'd decided I wasn't interested I've not kept up with the changes.

Out of interest, does the rear seat on the Mk 2 Yaris fold completely flat? The main problem with the Mk 1 was that it doesn't and I can't tumble the seat as I am quite tall (6'1) and the driver's seat won't go fully back when it is tumbled.

I'd say the boot needs to be a reasonable bit larger to be much use to me, not just a little bit bigger. I can squeeze everything in now, the point of going larger is to have space to add more stock if I expand my product range.

Looking at prices, the Jazz is about the same price as the Yaris of a similar age but has more space in the rear. That said, I am getting contrasting views on the reliability of the Jazz. Some reports say it is one of the best of all cars but you read some horror stories... It sound like if it does go wrong then it costs a heck of a lot to fix.

Advice for next car please... - corax

Out of interest, does the rear seat on the Mk 2 Yaris fold completely flat? The main problem with the Mk 1 was that it doesn't and I can't tumble the seat as I am quite tall (6'1) and the driver's seat won't go fully back when it is tumbled.

Have a look at the Yaris on the Parkers website - photo's of load area.

Also the Hyundai i20 as mentioned below has a really good load space with a flat boot floor.

I know what you mean about the Mk 2 Yaris. I don't feel it has the character of the Mk 1. My mum has the Mk1 1.3 petrol and it's great to drive. I've driven a 1.0 litre and it feels a bit undergeared on the motorway. I've not driven the Mk 2 although HJ reckons it's a better handler.

Hmmm... The seat folding on the Mk 2 Yaris looks worse than on the Mk 1! I had found a photo online which seemed to suggest they fold completely flat, maybe that wasn't a UK model one...

The i20 is an odd one. I don't think I'd get the same driving satisfaction but it may be a more practical car. However, I've heard quite a few bad stories about Hyundai reliability so the warranty may be necessary... Still, you never know, they are obviously working on it. One problem may be that we don't seem to have a local dealer any more - there was one very close but they closed down.

Advice for next car please... - Daedalus

My wife has had a Jazz for 7 years and 45,000 miles and it has just gone wrong for the first time. The gearbox got very noisy but Honda have done the repairs free of charge and even fitted a new clutch (we paid for the clutch) even though as soon as the warranty ran out we moved its servicing to an independant (book stamped though). It is a very versatile car the seats tip and move really easily and the amount it will hold with all seats down is amazing. I have a Mazda 2 as my company car (should be a Mondewoe but I don't have to contribute to the Mazda so no tax). The Mazda is far more fun to drive as HJ says a "real hoot" but its not as flexible as the Jazz and in my case the centre console sticks out to far, I am 6'1" with a 33" leg and I cannot get the seat quite far enough back to prevent my left leg constantly rubbing on the console and it is a pain. I didn't notice when I had the test drive. The rear seats fold forward but only lie on the seat squab so they are nowhere as good as the Jazz. If I had to choose just one car out of the 2 I suppose I would have go with the Jazz.

Edited by Daedalus on 11/04/2012 at 19:51

Advice for next car please... - retgwte

hyundai i20
suzuki swift
mazda 2

thems the best

While I was looking at cars I decided to take a look at the insurance costs. Is it normal for it to double when buying a newer car? I checked out a 1.2 Jazz on 08 plates and the prices were coming back around £600. My last renewal was under £300, not had the price though for this year but as I'm already at max NCB I expect a small increase.

Granted the Jazz is a few insurance groups higher than the Yaris but would that really make that much difference?

Advice for next car please... - madf

1.2 Jazz is Group 4: like Yaris.

But of course worth more so higher ££s exposure.

Edited by madf on 12/04/2012 at 20:04

I thought the Yaris was group 1? I wonder if it's worth checking out new cars, see if anyone is offering free insurance etc? Or is buying second hand always better value? They do say you lose thousands when you drive off the forecourt but I wonder if a special offer would compensate for that?

It says group 4 in the What Car tables: maybe that was the old group 1. I'm not sure if anything is in group 1 now.

As a very general rule, if a car holds its value well, like a Mini, it's worth buying new: if it depreciates fast, like most Fords and Vauxhalls, better to buy secondhand. I'd expect a Jazz to hold its value quite well so it's worth seeing if you can get a good deal on a new one.

Just checked and I hadn't realised there were now 50 insurance groups!

My local dealer has a 2010 Jazz 1.2 S for £8k. A new one is about £11500 although they have various offers such as 0% and free servicing for three years. Still not sure that is worth over £3k though! I'm also quite surprised the Jazz still only has a three year warranty - most others seem to be moving to 5 years now.

Advice for next car please... - Bobbin Threadbare

My B-i-L has a 59 plate Yaris. He commutes in it. He likes it a lot. I can attest to the fact that it will carry a lot of tiles, grout and wood home from B&Q! They hold value well too, and the tax is low.

Personally I reckon the Mazda 2 looks more fun to drive.

Advice for next car please... - balleballe

The mazda 2 certainly looks the nicer car - but I prefer toyota's 1.33 vvti to the 1.3 in the mazda 2

Advice for next car please... - Ald

For what it's worth I have previously had 2 Jazz's both the original 1.4, one manual one CVT auto. They never really gave any trouble, the Honda dealer was impeccable to deal with also. Quiet engines decent fuel economy. A relatively hard ride but very versatile. I big thing for me though was the feeling that you were not in a small car, lots of internal space up front. Other small cars feel, well, small. I had a look at a Mazda 2, nice but small. I now pull a caravan so the Jazz did not suit, if i needed another 'small' car in the future I would not hesitate to buy another. I drove a Yaris for a few days on holiday, it was fitted with a MMT 'box. The car is OK but not as good as a Jazz imho. The MMt 'box is shockingly poor, takes ages to change, around town it was a liability only settling down on an open road.

Cheers

Edited by Ald on 13/04/2012 at 13:42

Interesting to know that about the MMT - it sounded like a very good idea. While I love a manual gear change there are times when you just want the car to drive and you not have to mess around changing gear.

It is looking like the Jazz is probably the best option. I might test drive a Yaris Mk 2 and an i20 if I can find one locally but the general view seems to agree with my feeling that the Jazz is the best option.

Looks like a good summary, Teapot: make sure you try a 1.3 Yaris which is much livelier than your 1.0. It has - just - the edge over the Jazz for driver appeal, but it'll depend on how much equipment you carry around.

Advice for next car please... - johncyprus
We had the same decision to make when we decided to upgrade my wife's 8 year old Yaris diesel which we'd had from new. We replaced it with a jazz 1.4 which had 14 k on the clock and the car is excellent. We're delighted with it and would recommend the Jazz to anyone needing a small family car/ hatchback. The aforementioned Yaris was totally infallible but was probably the most boring car we've ever owned, the Jazz is almost charismatic in comparison. Would suggest you get the CVT automatic as the manual is too high geared.

I'm really not sure about an auto.... How much different is a CVT to a conventional auto? I had one once (a Focus I think) as a hire car once and detested the thing. It was good around town when I couldn't be bothered but out on the open roads it was never in the correct gear.

Going back to an old thread but I've still not chosen and another idea has come to mind...

What do people think about the Merc A class? I've seen 07 reg ones for under £6k locally. I don't know how much more it would cost to run but it strikes me it would be the right size and quality for what I'm looking at.

Any reasons for / against?