What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus 1.6 zetec - engine run high when brake pedel is pumped - veitchy

hi hope someone can help. when you press the accelerator pedal and let go the revs stay high then goes back down slowly to 800/900 revs i have read on here about trying pressing the brake pedel so i have tried this and it revs up till about 1300/1400 sometimes 2000 revs can anyone tell me how to fix this thanks

ford focus 1.6 zetec - engine run high when brake pedel is pumped - unthrottled

Brakes run on engine vacuum which is drawn from the inlet manifold. You could have a vacuum leak which is drawing air into the engine upstream of the throttle plate. The Idle Control Valve will slowly try to restore the correct idle speed when the idle RPM is higher than expected.

I've used propane (cigarette lighter refill can) to successfully leak chase. Spray it along the hoses/manifold gaskets. When the revs pick up, you've found the leak.

thanks will try that now and let you know

ford focus 1.6 zetec - engine run high when brake pedel is pumped - doofer

Just remember it's highly flammable, be careful where you spray it!!

cannot find any leaks at all,but when i push the brake it only goes to a 1000 revs but when i put it on the gas pedel it still takes a long time to go back to 800/900 revs