Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - ksj

I test drove a 2.2 diesel (200PS) S-Max today. 6 months old, 2000 miles. At the end of a 10 minute drive the fan stayed on for at least 5 minutes and there was an "enginey" smell. The salesman assured me the fan staying on was normal and the smell was due to the way the engine had been cleaned. Does anyone have any views as to whether I should be concerned please?

Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - Avant

I'd guess it's been started and stopped, and taken on too-short test drives like yours (not to mention its low mileage), and that was the diesel particulate filter clearing itself.

Consider a petrol S-Max if most of your journeys wil be short.

Thanks, driving is kids related (hence considering this car) and longer journeys too. Need reliabilty. Have gone all around the houses trying to find a car that will carry 3 kids in the back and give me some driving interest - narrowed it down to this S-Max or a new (but pre-registered) Hyundai ix35 2L. Any views?

Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Avant is right. PDF regeneration causes a lot of heat, if the engine is shutdown while regeneration is in progress the fan comes on in an attempt to keep things cool, even though the engine is not running. I had this a lot with a PSA diesel in the past.

Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - ChannelZ

will carry 3 kids in the back and give me some driving interest -

Focus. Unless you're breeding monsters, you don't need an ix35, or a S-Max to fit 3 kids in the back.

If your kids don't fit in the back of a Focus, you should consider changing their diets.

Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - craig-pd130

As sais above, it's just the diesel particle filter going through a regeneration cycle. The engine management computer triggers this once every 500 - 600 miles. Often you may not even notice it, as it will take place while you're driving at speed.

Having owned a new Mondeo IV 2.0 TDCI for three and a half years and nearly 40,000 miles (same underpinnings and very similar engine), the DPF system in these cars seems robust -- very few reported DPF problems on Ford S-Max / Mondeo forums.

One comment I would make, the 2.2 high-power diesel is not noted for its good economy. It may be worth considering the 2.0 TDCI with 163bhp as an alternative. It should be a fair bit cheaper too.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm reassured about the fan. But appreciate the comment about economy - something that I'm keen on. It's back to the Hyundai - and I think I'll post a thread abou that. Chose my last car on advice from this column and haven't regretted the decision for a second.

Ford S-MAX - Should I be concerned? - Nezza
We have a new galaxy with the same 2.2 (200) engine and find the DPF regens every 310 miles approx. Have also noticed it does this at 30 mph speeds too which goes against other comments I have previously heard on DPF's. Slightly heavier than the smax but expect performance will be very similar, we find it is lacking under 1500 rpm then goes like a rocket, all or no power so is not the most refined setup. Used to drive the 2.0 140 bhp and it was much better in the lower rpm range. Saying that it has only done 2000 mile so chance to loosen up yet and improve. Fuel wise we are getting 35 mpg average of town driving through week and odd blast down motorway at weekends. About 10 mpg down on the 140bhp we had.