What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - Oli rag

With the up and coming launches of various small capacity, "highly efficient" turbo petrol engines, will lots of other manufacturers follow suit? Could this be the end for smaller capacity diesels and all of their potential problems.

I do realise, I, and they, could be totally jumping the gun, if these new tech engines turn out to be neither as efficient as is claimed or as robust and reliable as they need to be.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - Happy Blue!

Yes - like the Fiat Twin Air; which appears to be a waste of time.

Edited by Bitter Blue on 11/03/2012 at 08:40

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - Roly93

I dont think it is the end of small diesel engines per-se as I do not believe, (having driven some small turbo-petrols) that the efficiency of the latest small diesels will ever be matched by a gasolene engine. Thes small turb-petrols only deliver on-paper efficiency in the real world.

However if out and out fuel consumption isnt a priority, some of these engines are great, and a diesel in a very small car is hard to keep refined.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - unthrottled

With the up and coming launches of various small capacity, "highly efficient" turbo petrol engines, will lots of other manufacturers follow suit? Could this be the end for smaller capacity diesels and all of their potential problems.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. A stoichiometric petrol engine engine is never going to be as efficient as a lean burn compression ignition engine. Fundamentally, the thermodynamic efficiency is a at least 20-30% lower, and whatever you do with variable this or electronic the other, the basic fundamental principle remains.

The higher energy density of diesel flatters the mpgs even further (although diesels will-quite wrongly-complain atthe extra 5% cost at the pumps.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - bazza

Agreed, but the problem is the EC legislation progressively tightening emissions requirements - Euro 6 requirements on diesel NOx will add further cost and complexity to the already stringent Euro 5. So small diesel installations will become relatively more expensive than petrol, with increased maintenance costs as well ( DPF, Eolys, catalytic reduction etc) . Hence why i think the manufacturers, who are always one step ahead , are moving away from small diesel. In fact, Honda and Toyota seem to be moving fairly quickly away from diesel development ( maybe because their major markets are US based?) And also interesting that BMW/Toyota have a joint venture to share technology, one is strong in diesel tech, the other leading in Battery/hybrid.

Euro VI NOx control will be a problem. If SCR is used, efficiency is retained (or even improved since the EGR level can be ahem...reduced). But consumers will moan about having to fill up the urea tank.

The other option is a Nox trap. But they require running RICH for a few seconds every minute or two, and this does hurt efficiency.

So small diesel installations will become relatively more expensive than petrol, with increased maintenance costs

A 3 cylinder boosted petrol engine WILL have a DMF-and it will be put under almost as much stress as a 4 cylinder diesel. Small petrols tend to require variable valve timing (inlet and exhaust) and increasingly use direct injection which bumps up the initial cost. Hybrid drivetrains all but eliminate manual transmissions. This is a turn off to traditional drivers and those (like me) who think that CVT isn't that great in practice.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - 2.0Tsi
Don't forget that the VAG group are now starting to fit cylinder deactivation technology to the small petrols. The 1.4 TFSI for example will shut down 2 cylinders between 1400-4000rpm if the car is cruising and not under load.

I am sure that hybrids/small petrols combo's etc are the future as the diesel is being choked and the bean counters can see their relative expensiveness.

Don't forget that the VAG group are now starting to fit cylinder deactivation technology to the small petrols. The 1.4 TFSI for example will shut down 2 cylinders between 1400-4000rpm if the car is cruising and not under load.

More marketing bull.

Cummins do that on their pushrod 6.7 diesel. Chrysler and GM have been fitting cyinder deactivation onto their V8s for 10 years. The gains just aren't great on 5.0+ V8s; on tiny 4 pots the gains are tiny. On pushrod engines cylinder deactivation is relatively easy because you simply use collapsable lifters. On OHC engines the system is a pain-you need a fairly complex valvetrain-which bumps up the cost.

Diesel engines don't really need this gubbins because they are seldom heavily air throttled.

Cylinder deactivation also puts diesel like stress on the DMF. When you try to make a petrol engine behave like a diesel engine, it will develop diesel like problems.

Addendum: Mitsubishi used cylinder deactivation on their direct injection 4 pot engine back in 1996. This was the petrol engine that was going to deliver diesel like efficiency. It didn't.

They scrapped the cylinder deactivation after a couple of years because of NVH concerns, and dumped the direct injection in 2001.

Here we go again!

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - bazza

Am wondering if the new 3 cylinder Ford unit uses direct injection and if so, have they got around the problems VAG seem to have had with carbon build up in the inlet tract? Agree, these new generation petrols aren't going to be cheap to fix, with the extra complexity built in, Piezo injectors(?) integral manifold/heads etc.

Also, interesting that Toyota do not appear to be moving into direct injection and small turbo technology just yet, rather sticking with VVti and hybrid development.

Am wondering if the new 3 cylinder Ford unit uses direct injection and if so, have they got around the problems VAG seem to have had with carbon build up in the inlet tract?

Originally the VW FSI engines were intended to be used for charge stratification. The stratified charge caused the soot which EGR deposited on the intake. There was also a problem of excessive leaking of valve seals which acted as fly paper.

They've basically reduced the amount of stratification to reduce the amount of soot.

Ford do not seem to have encountered problems with carbon build up.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - balleballe

Toyota are probably playing it safe - waiting till the technology has proven itself (which it is failing to do) and then perhaps make a similar unit to the TSI - only more reliable.

Having said that; their 1.8 V-matic petrol is superbly economical. My mate has one who does taxi work

Gets around 38mpg around Birmingham - which is pretty good going TBH. His previous car was a mazda 6 2.0d (pre DPF) and he only used to get around 40mpg with that! He's only taken it on one 'cruise' and didnt measure brim-to-brim; but the onboard computer said 50mpg

I'm eagerly anticipating mazda's new skyactive range of engines - could be a game changer

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. A stoichiometric petrol engine engine is never going to be as efficient as a lean burn compression ignition engine. Fundamentally, the thermodynamic efficiency is a at least 20-30% lower, and whatever you do with variable this or electronic the other, the basic fundamental principle remains.

The higher energy density of diesel flatters the mpgs even further (although diesels will-quite wrongly-complain atthe extra 5% cost at the pumps.

Whether I drink a powdered fuit drink or not, isn't going to alter my question.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - balleballe

That made me lol. Simply put - the answer from unthrottled is...no

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - TeeCee

The key word there is "stochiometric".

The Rover "K" series engine was originally designed to runs severely lean-burn and returned over 70 mpg in its 1.0 variant, before cats and stochiometric running were forced on 'em by the EU.

When the playing field is level, there's not a lot in it.....

The key word there is "stoichiometric

I don't think it's that simple. Most of the big diesel stationary engines are offered in spark ignition lean burn variants. Running on natural gas with an antiknock index of over 120, detonation isn't a huge problem. Boost and static compressin are kept high. Their brake efficiency is still considerably higher than the diesel variants. Lean mixtures burn slow and need too much spark advance.

Ford - Is it the end for small diesel engines? - brum

I've always wondered if they fitted an NOx control system (Urea based or whatever) onto a petrol, they could run lean burn and even possibly eliminate the CAT as CO output could be slashed? The CAT is a 70's monstrosity that requires rich burn to start it up.

They could run lean burn and even possibly eliminate the CAT as CO output could be slashed

Not really. If you go slightly lean, CO and HC emissions fall whilst NOx rises. As you continue to lean out, Nox falls and CO and HC start to rise as partial misfiring becomes more frequent. The burn becomes slow and unstable. Cycle by cycle variation increases and engine smoothness is impaired.

The way to avoid this is via charge stratification which is what er...diesel engines do!

Edited by unthrottled on 12/03/2012 at 12:59